Western digital 500gb hard disk problem

Solved/Closed
ashz - Mar 21, 2011 at 01:32 AM
 Murthy - Apr 6, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Hello,

Suddenly today my western digital hard disk is not showing
i have windows 7 and it is showing that there is a usb cable attached but the hard disk is not coming up in 'my computer'
plz help !
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 21, 2011 at 09:25 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) Check in the "Disk Management".

Click on Start --> In search box, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Disk Management" window will be opened.

If you notice a your external drive partition without a drive letter then right-click

on it --> Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." --> Click on "Add" button -->

Add --> Select the drive letter --> Click on OK.

2) Click on Start --> In search box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

"Device Manager" will be opened. If you notice any yellow mark on it then update

the drivers.

Good Luck
i cnt understand which 1 may be d hard disk
4 disks r shwn
1. no name
2. OS(c)
3. d cd I hv inserted(game)
4. recover

the first 1 is shwn as 100 mb and when I right clicked on it it shwd only 'help' nothing else
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 21, 2011 at 01:00 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Windows 7 creates that 100MB partition to store system files and bootable files that are required to boot your computer in recovery mode.
Follow the instructions given in step2 and make sure there is no yellow mark in your device manager.
If you are not sure about it then send me a snapshot of your disk management. First make sure
you connect your external hard drive, take a snapshot --> upload that file to
https://authentification.site --> Copy the download url and paste it here.
Good Luck
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27539019/Capture.PNG

u will notice that it shows in my device manager but is not there in 'my computer'

i double clicked on it (WD Elements 1023 USB Device) went to driver and updated it
it showed that I have the latest version
Mar 22, 2011 at 04:59 AM
Hello,
1)You are suppose to send me the snapshot of "Disk Management. Plug your external drive
Click on Start --> In search box, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
"Disk Management" window will be opened. Now send me the snapshot of disk management
2) In device manager, right-click on your external drive --> Select "Uninstall" --> After that click on "Action" --> Scan for hardware changes.
[Note: If "Scan for hardware" changes is missing then click on the white area in the device manager and then follow the instruction.]
Good Luck
just a question....
is there any chance of me losing my warrenty offer on the product if I click on uninstall?
ive been tryin to get thru to them but I hvnt been successful

the disk management pic -
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27547200/Capture2.PNG
I had same problem. For me it was power related. Was plugged into powerstrip. After plugging into wall outlet all is well.