Cannot connect to netgear WGR614 router

Solved/Closed
roy.burnett - Jan 12, 2009 at 02:08 PM
 dwayne - Nov 7, 2010 at 02:25 AM
Hi,
Could anybody help? I have a netgear WGR614 wireless router and am using XP home, with Virginmedia broadband (UK). When I initially set the router up, it (eventually) worked fine. However, security was off, so I dialled into the modem and set it for WPA, as per the instructions. Now I can't connect wirelessly at all. The router keeps trying to connect, then it says 'acquiring network address', then it fails and tries again.

I understand from netgear that I should have used WEP security, as there are issues with WPA and XP. They said to connect the pc to the router, and then delete all the settings, but I have tried and cannot get anything. I can connect to the internet via the pc once I unplug the router and plug it back into my pc (then reboot everything), but am trying to go wireless. Any suggestions?

This is so frustrating - I would appreciate some help. Thanks.
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 12, 2009 at 09:05 PM
There should be a hole in the back of the router where you insert a ball point pen. This will reset the router to factory defaults. You could then you initial setup again.
thanks for your reply. I did try that, but it didnt seem to reset it. perhaps I didnt press it hard enough. will try again.
James > roy.burnett
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM
You must hold it down for about 10 seconds. The lights on the front will all reset to indicate that it worked.
roy.burnett > James
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM
OK. Thanks.
rad > roy.burnett
Mar 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM
hey I have a wirerless router and I dont see any programs for me to set it up when I plug t in
you need to go into the router ip address 192.168.0.1 to set it up
i have the same problem but the router will not reset power light stays off port lights come on for a few seconds then go out
Hi

i had the same problem for 2 months. if you have virgin wireless manager installed unistall it and you should be able to connect. I did this yesterday and hey presto it worked
hi robert,tried what you said many times and all is still the same,tempted to throw router in the bin and try another make,thanks for your help.
i have the same problem as above same internet provided so on