I tunes wont initiate when i plug in my ipod

Solved/Closed
roger - Jan 12, 2009 at 10:07 PM
 Gab - Jun 15, 2010 at 02:10 PM
Hello,
My itunes does not initiate when I plug in my ipod.It doesnt even show up as a devise on My Computer.This is a new problem.I cant think of anything ive done to cause this problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

60 responses

hey guys,
i do not know if this will help you guys but I was using a duracell cable to connect iphone 3gs 32gb to itunes, latest version, I switched from that cable back to apple cable and it worked, so this worked for me, hope this helps someone
i had the same problem and looked this up but what happened for me was that I jus needed to let it charge for a second because it was so dead that it wasnt triguring so I let it sit and then it turned on itself and then showed up.... hope this helps
hey wen I plug in my ipod shuffle nutin shows up on itunes..why is that?? write me back and help!
anonymous Niqquh ;)
Jan 18, 2010 at 07:14 AM
If youve plugged it in to anyother computer to put music on it then it will erase evrythinq yu have ! So what you have to do is only have ONE computer you use to put music on it or else EVERYTHINq will get ERASED .
thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
isn't that only if you set it to 'Synchronise'?
you have to put it on manual and then when you switch computers it wont erase
when I plug my shuffle to my pc it dosent even charge it only give me 3 orange lights and the BLANK . plz plzzzzz help am diein over here
Hey had the exact same problem, yesterday it wouldnt register at all on my computer. And today its not even chargin when I plug it in. Has anyone figured out how to get it working yet?
Ruined_sorrow
Apr 23, 2009 at 02:18 AM
hey hi , there
well for this type of problem .. I think you should try these methods :
1 - if you can see the < removable device > icon in My computer .. but your itunes doesnt detect you ipod
it means , maybe you should install your I tunes again .
2 - If your ipod is hanged < the reason of hanged ipod can possibly be due to being carelessly thrown from 2 story building <happened with me > but in that case you should leave the ipod .Until itz battery is gone and den try 1 method ..
one . First connect it with computer < not by your ipod usb charger >.
3 - if your ipod is working fine and you cant see anything on your computer < no detection > then its 99.9 percent problem with your USB data cable < the white wire >
the other 0.1 percent can possibly be the Jack of your ipod , there is somthing wrong with it . if so , you can can contact with your nearest Apple store .
Peace ,....V

Note : these all things have been experienced by me
i have used over 27 ipods .
Hey :)
Just uninstall iTunes and reinstall it, works fine after that :)
desperate for ipod helppp! =p > Ruined_sorrow
Jun 1, 2009 at 08:57 PM
i read the thing where it says- uninstall I tunes and then re-install it, because when I plug in my ipod, it doesnt work on itunes- it doesn't even say " do not disconnect". all it does is charge and I really need some songs on it... so here'e my question- if I follow your advice and unistall and then reinstall itunes, will it delete all of the songs that were previously on there?
theunforgiven > Ruined_sorrow
Jun 16, 2009 at 07:59 PM
Yo if I uninstall itunes willl it delete all my songs???? help!!
theunforgiven > Nikki-May
Jun 17, 2009 at 08:06 AM
haha ...how do ya do that?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I have the same problem, my ipod doesn't even show as a device. I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, and still nothing. This seems to only have happened since I updated itunes the other day. Anyone else update before they had this problem? And has anyone found a solution?
mine did the same thing when itunes updated when I plug my phone in the computer knows its there but itunes does not and if turn on itunes it just lock up
yeah, mine does that too, but its only because after you install a new itunes update you have to restart your computer, not just turn it off, so it can fully install the updates. and it wont sync your ipod or whatever until you've restarted. so yeahhh.
When I connect my Ipod it doesnt syncronize... (it only charges) plus it says unkown device
and meanwhile its charging it shows the apple sighn again and again
PLZ HELP ME OUT ITS GETTING ANNOYING
Hello,
i have got the problem and can't seem to fix it as I tried a new cable and I reinstalled itunes but still nothing. The ipod is working fine and it charges but it won't reconise it for some reason. please help! thank u

ps... I need new songs!
Hey dude I have a ipod nano and it had the same problem ,it gets charged but it doesnt get detectedf by the computer or itune,what I did was I played songs on my ipod al night long until it completly finished and please check again if it finished and else play a song again until it says it's battry is empty and ittry crashing it by clicking ramdom buttons and the connect to your computer,it worked for my one.

good luck.....
theunforgiven
Jul 10, 2009 at 09:51 AM
Reset your ipod. Works every time.
How the heck do you reset your ipod? today I downloaded a new version of itunes. now when I plug in my ipod it doesn't show up as a device in itunes - so no way to eject or add new songs? what the heck?!
KanesTheName > cc
Aug 24, 2009 at 03:46 AM
This happened to me, just get a new USB connector and mine was fine.
julie405 > KanesTheName
Nov 4, 2009 at 06:45 AM
THANKS for all your help. I was going crazy! And as it turned out it was just my white cord connecting my ipod to the computer. I bought a new cord and now my ipod works and syncs! YAY! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Cierra > KanesTheName
Dec 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Okayy But I Have Like 3 Different Cords But Yet They Still Don't Work :(.
Fishman > Cierra
Dec 23, 2009 at 11:17 PM
Hi Cerra, I had tried everything listed above, Reset the Touch I pod, reinstall Itunes but nothing was working, so finally I jiggled the power chord (slightly pulling it out) and of course it began charging and connecting. Just like the toilet flusher...
Best of luck
hey everyone, what worked for me was that I uninstalled then installed itunes. it works
On a mac, no need to uninstall anything. Just run a system Updates (from the Apple menu) and update to the latest version of iTunes. They fixed some sort of bug with this new version that resolves the not recognizing certain ipods. Beware though, the new version has to run an update to your iTunes library, so it may take a while to start up after running the update.
well I got the same problem but it says download 64-bit of itunes I do and still wont work plz help =)
hold down the middle button with the menu button until the apple logo appears (while its plugged into the computer) this resets the ipod but wont delete any songs etc from it. Works for me :)
i Have also had the same issue with my ipod touch since the upgrade to vrsion 8 the ipod classic works fine
yeah same stupid problem. It just started doing this when I downloaded the new version of itunes 2 days ago.
yah I know and now I can't do anything with it it so so f**king stupid
Hi. I had that same problem. And I thought I lost my Ipod since I plugged another Ipod and worked on the same pc... Then I had this idea to restart my Ipod. u can do that by Pressing and holding the menu key on ur ipod... and then it worked again....
Mine started doing this before I updated. I just updated 2 days ago to try and fix the problem. I thought it was the cable I was using while I loaned my good one to somebody, but I got the good one back and it still doing it....i have almost 50 new songs I need to put on it..
so which one is it? get a new cable or reinstall it? because my ipods working fine but it wont charge and it wont let me do anything like add new songs??
my ipod touch wont indecate that its charging wat do I do??
help me be4 I get pissed nd chuck it out the window
you need to refresh games and suff or set the time and date back to nomal mine dose it all the time
Hey there I had this same problem, what you have to do is make sure its not already connected , disconnect everything from your itouch connect the cable to your laptop/computer and then connect the cable to your ipod touch/phone :) hope it helps :D Also it could be that theres a new update :P
Bellamariposa11
Aug 16, 2009 at 08:36 PM
I was having the same problem. Reset your ipod by holding down the center button and menu button at the same time, once your ipod resets, plug it back into your computer, it should work. Good luck!
i had this problem tooo, resetting the ipod worked i'd try that before you go through the bother or installing itunes again:) XXXXX
just reinstall itunes nd if tht doesnt work wich it shud den yhu need a new one(:
just reinstall itunes nd if tht doesnt work wich it shud den yhu need a new one(:
I got the same problem as you all, but I dont got the answers, as I said before, my computer cant reconize ipod, maybe the USB ports are burned..