Windows XP installation problem

Closed
ash910 - Apr 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Jack Rex Posts 177 Registration date Saturday January 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2016 - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 700. I had some problem with my laptop earlier so had given it for repair. The repair guy installed a pirated version of Windows XP professional on it. Now I have a genuine copy of Windows XP media center which I want to install. It's giving message while installing that 'ugrade is not possible with this version', so I can only install a new copy of windows. I have my old XP in C: , so it's not allowing me to overwrite the old windows. If I install it in unpartitioned space then it intalls a new windows in D: and it asks me to choose the OS while booting. I do not want two OS on my laptop. How can I solve this problem?
Related:

2 responses

Jack Rex Posts 177 Registration date Saturday January 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2016 7
Apr 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM
You have to format C:\.
Hi jack,

Could you please explain in detailed step-by-step approach.

Thanks
I shut down the laptop and booted from the Windows XP Installation CD. I am trying to follow the below steps:

If you want to format only the C drive to install the OS again then

When the partition screen appears then select the C-drive --> Press D key -->

When it prompt for confirmation then press ENTER, and then press L.

Now select that "Unpartitioned Space" --> Press C key --> Press Enter -->

Select your C-drive and press "Enter" key.

But when I try to delete C drive, it says "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation."
Jack Rex Posts 177 Registration date Saturday January 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2016 7
Apr 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Don't delete the partition when it asks press ENTER and press format partition or if not like that then press f when the partition list comes. Don't remember the screen properly but try these.

Hope it helps.