Jump Drive not showing up in Windows Explorer

Closed
Mortesque - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM
 Anonymous User - Jun 16, 2011 at 02:06 PM
Hello,

My friend gave me a jump drive with very important information on it. He bent the metal tip a little, but the tip is not touching the chip. My computer is seeing the jump drive and recognizing it as a memory storage device. However, it is not showing up in windows explorer. I have located the device in devices and printers and upon right clicking on it it has browse folders option which has a grayed out "Removable Disk (F:)" Also I tried navigating to the jump drive through the command prompt and it says that the device is not ready. I would like to know how to get the information off the jump drive.

Please and thank you for assisting me in this matter.

Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Hello,

As it is shown on the device manager, follow these instructions to see if the problem will be fixed.

1-Go to start

2-Right click on my computer

3-Click on manage then click on storage

4-Then click on disk management

5-Right click on your device and select add letters and path,window will pop up then click on Add then select an alphabet different of C and click on Ok.

Go to "My Computer" to see if it is shown there.

Good Luck!
That was a really good idea, I did not think of going in there. However, it did not work. Inside the disk manager it has the jump drive and says "no media" I believe that for some reason it is not reading the information on the jump drive. Thanks you anyway.
I have tried the solution that bionik suggested and as it was a good idea it did not work. I have also plugged the jump drive into other computers and had the same problem.
Anonymous User
Jun 16, 2011 at 02:06 PM
Hi,

If you plug your drive in other computers and it does not work, I'm terribly sorry to inform you that you drive is defective. Think to buy a new one.

Sorry!