How do I upgrade from Windows ME?

Solved/Closed
Jo - Jan 23, 2009 at 08:51 PM
 TL - Jan 26, 2009 at 06:54 PM
Hey All,
Please don't "judge" me as dumb, just computer challenged. I have the "antique version" of Windows ME. How do I upgrade to XP or Vista. Can anyone help me? Can I buy something to download online? Or do I need to purchase a new computer? Any help would be appreciated. :)
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 23, 2009 at 09:05 PM
If you have a Windows ME computer it will not run VISTA at all. It's just too slow for that software. Even Windows XP will have problems because of the old slow hardware. You can't download ANY Windows upgrades - they need to be bought retail. Microsoft has stopped shipping Windows XP to retail stores so it might be hard to find.

You best bet is to buy a new computer. One option is to purchase a Mac Mini. You buy just a small CPU box (the Mini) and connect it to you existing Keyboard and monitor.

Another option is to wait to buy a PC until July 2009 when Microsoft will release "Windows 7" a much improved upgrade to Vista.

Good Luck
jolyn0880 Posts 1 Registration date Friday January 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 23, 2009
Jan 23, 2009 at 09:19 PM
Thank you so much for your response. It only confirmed what I figured I was to do. Guess it's time for a "makeover"!

Thanks again. :)
I hope you come back to this site. Anyway the answers given weren"t correct. If you update your ram to 512 MB with 28GB of memory, you can then upgrade computer. I have Windows ME and with the extra ram my upgrade is fine. I had an older 98 with only 256MB of ram and 4 GB of memory and ran the upgrade for xp everything was fine.
Though in 98 there was not really any left over space for additional programs. Hope this helps. Less expensive than buying a new computer. I have a local computer shop that re-builds and answers questions, maybe you do in your area. Nice young man with the knowledge and not out to take all your money.