Seems to boot, but not display

Closed
frustratedtech - Aug 8, 2011 at 01:05 PM
zipcorel Posts 6 Registration date Monday August 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2011 - Aug 8, 2011 at 01:59 PM
Hello,

I have an odd issue. I am a computer technician. I sold a bareboned kit built computer that I built myself to a client. A year and a half goes by with no issues. But now I have a problem. When the computer is booted up, all lights come on, fans come on and everything sounds and looks normal, except there is no display on the monitor. I swapped monitors and am using a known good one. I reseated everything, all connections are firm. I replaced the power supply and ram with known good hardware, no luck with the problem. I finally decided to gut it and replace via warranty RMA the motherboard and ram. With a new mobo and new ram, the problem is the same. The CPU is the only thing that hasn't been replaced because it is no longer under warranty. There are no cards in pci slots and nothing else I can think to try. I was leary of buying a new processor because the return policy won't let me return the new one if I take it out of the box and it doesn't solve my issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Aug 8, 2011 at 01:10 PM
Hi,

Your problem may be due to your GPU, try this:

1. If you have an external graphic card and you get this problem. Then probably your graphic cards busted.
2. If you have an integrated graphic card and you get this problem. Well, Sorry but its about time you replace your motherboard.
Integrated graphics are not fixable.
3. If its the external problem. Then switch to the integrated graphic card (Thats if you have one) or get a new graphics card either with your warranty (if its valid) or buy one.

Other Solutions
1. (Only for external graphic card holders) This problem is very common due to dust residing on the graphic card/graphic card slot. Just take out the graphic card, and with a paint brush clean the metal parts and the graphic card slot. Be very careful when doing so as this slot are very delicate. Do so at your own risk.
2. This problem may occur if you computer heats up very much.
*Clean up the insides of your Pc with a paint brush at least once a month. (Due to Dust)
*Try hooking up an extra cooling fan to your Pc to reduce the heat.
*Keep your Pc in a well ventilated area such as close to a window.
*If your Pc is a expensive one, try installing a liquid cooling system to it. May at least cost 300$.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
frustratedtech
Aug 8, 2011 at 01:13 PM
So just to clear up the confusion, as I stated in post, I have a brand new motherboard, replaced via RMA with Asus. I don't feel it could be the motherboard. My graphics card is integrated in the motherboard, but again it is brand new. Same problem with old board as with new one, so I can only assume the problem had nothing to do with the board since replacing it did nothing to help or even change the issue. Thanks
zipcorel Posts 6 Registration date Monday August 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2011 1
Aug 8, 2011 at 01:59 PM
Well I guess you answer ur own question. Why don't you try a new cpu or one use from a working pc? Because what it could have been, has been change, new board, new ram. You can also check the Power supply I know is a bit crazy, but maybe a change in voltage is the problem.