My CPU will NOT boot with keyboard and mouse

Closed
TML3193 - Aug 23, 2011 at 05:18 PM
westom Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 5, 2014 - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Hello,

A couple days ago there was a power outage in my area. My computer (Acer Aspire M1640 Desktop) was on and working fine, but obviously shut off when the power went out. The power is now back, but when I turn it on it goes to the white "Acer" screen that says "Del:Enter Setup" and "F12:Boot Menu" at the bottom. The keyboard and mouse don't work at all and the computer tower itself is silent. It stays like this for hours. Doesnt change.

However, if I turn it on with only the mouse plugged in, not the keyboard, it boots up fine. Once I plug it in at that point while everything is up and running, the keyboard lights flash and then shuts off. The mouse also stops working.
Keyboard is "Acer KB-0759" and is NOT wireless.
Mouse is "Logitech M-SBN96" and is NOT wireless.

University starts soon guys, please help me out.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Aug 23, 2011 at 06:28 PM
Power outages are often followed by a power surge/power spike when the power is restored. This is why it is suggested that everyone have a "surge protector".
This sounds like a power surge might have burned out the interface chip on the keyboard/motherboard.
1. I would get another keyboard and try it. Depending on the version of Windows the keyboard might need to be attached when the computer boots.

2. I assume the keyboard and mouse are connected via PS/2 (round connectors). If you still have problems I suggest you test the computer with a USB keyboard.
3. A long shot is to try a "hard restart" ( you disconnect the power cord - hold down the power button for 30 seconds - then reconnect the power cord) This sometimes resets a BIOS that is confused. As a last resort you could remove/replace the CMOS button battery that powers the BIOS.

The power company is responsible for damage caused by power outages and the voltage spike/surge that follows. I would file a claim as soon as possible.

Good Luck
westom Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 5, 2014
Aug 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Modem and keyboard are powered from a common and resettable fuse. If either trips that fuse, then the fuse is only reset by removing power - maybe by unplugging the computer's power cord.

Sounds like your keyboard has a short. Or it is drawing too much power. Either way, it is tripping a fuse that powers mouse and keyboard.

BTW, power on never causes a power on surge. When power returns, voltage may increase slowly. That is perfectly ideal for electronics. But can be stressful to motorized appliances. Best is to power off motorized appliances that might be stressed as voltage slowly increases. Voltage does not spike on as so many myths assume.