Sound drivers on XP

Closed
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011 - Sep 8, 2011 at 01:01 PM
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011 - Sep 8, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Hello,

My sister was given a Panasonic CF-29. The volume wasn't working. My sister wants to see if I can fix the problem. When I open up ITunes, I get this message that Audio/Video playback may not operate properly. I click on play & the song does not play. Windows Media Player said it couldn't play because there is a problem with my sound device. My speakers and headphones work on my PC. Realtek 97 and some other version of Realtek was installed last week. I'm not sure what happened, but neither of these programs are under Add/Remove programs. I tried to do a restore to when these 2 programs were installed but I was unsuccessful.

The Sound & Audio Device properties- Volume, Audio & Voice tab are greyed out.

Sound video and game controller in Device Manager- All devices are working properly. And all say Unknown location. The devices are: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices & Video Codecs.

I tried to download drivers at Panasonic and Realtek. They made me download Drivertool and Driverupdate. Neither of these programs said I had to update my sound drivers. I tried to do a system restore to before I installed these 2 programs & I was unsuccessful. Maybe something is wrong with System Restore? Also Driver tool & update both say that the sound device is unplugged which isnt true. I turned on my speakers and turned the volume high. When I hook it up to the laptop, I get a big noise.

My sound driver is Sigma Tel C-Major Audio. I updated the driver today & still cant play songs with ITunes or Windows Media. When I try download drivers, they always make me download some program that will check my drivers and tell me what drivers need to be updated. And these programs charge if I want to update my drivers.

Windows Audio is set to Automatic. I have installed some updates from Windows Update. There are no more updates. And now the only day I can try to do a restore is today. I went to BIOS and pressed F2 repeatedly and I got a noise. I don't know how to check to see my sound is disabled or not in BIOS. The only thing I see related to Sound is Microphone Jack: PC. Pressing FN+F5 and the other combination didnt make a difference.

Any ideas? I dont have the restore factory settings CD that came with the laptop. And I dont have the Windows CD. I pressed F11 after booting my laptop. It made noise and then Windows booted. Please help.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Sep 8, 2011 at 02:56 PM
I suggest you delete the audio hardware in the Control Panel and then let Windows reinstall the hardware/software.

You probably should download and install the Sigma Tel drivers from this location:

https://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-C-Major-Audio/3000-2110_4-153235.html

The Realtek drivers should not install if you don't have Realtek hardware.

Good Luck
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011
Sep 8, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Thanks for writing back. There is no audio hardware in the Control Panel. I went to the link and got an error: Invalid operating system parameter, or this installer, doesnt support this operating system. Please let me know if you have anymore advice.