Chinese characters at Command Prompt ...HELP

Closed
JDubbz - Sep 30, 2011 at 01:54 AM
 Anonymous User - Oct 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Hello,
I've been dealing with a programming issue on my HP Mini 2140 netbook for over 2 months now. The problems started after I ran CCleaner to try and remove any files that were slowing down its speed. I have spent hours looking on forums, speaking to Microsoft support, etc. - looking for anything remotely similar so that I may find a solution.

Microsoft recently sent me a Windows Vista Home Edition recovery & installation DVD. Because I am working with a netbook, I have to use an external driver to run the disc. Everything seemed to be working great, but after the program had loaded my files, it restarted with a command prompt. The title bar began with Asian text and then read:
X:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32>

When I type a chkdsk C:/r command into the prompt, the result is in a different language. I tried rebooting from the CD or DVD when manually rebooting, and the computer gets stuck in the Windows is loading files... page.

Prior to attempting to install the Windows Vista, and proceeding the CCleaner run, all text/files/menus/EVERYTHING was in some sort of illegible dialect. Rectangular boxes, symbols, etc. replaced every character that was in English.

I did go into the System Configuration menu and confirm English as the main language, saved those settings, and still - nothing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE .... if anyone is out there that could read me & HELP, I am desperate. Ready to throw the laptop against a wall at this point :-/
Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Sep 30, 2011 at 07:50 AM
This usually happens for a failed upgrade installation

Only option will be to do a clean format and reinstall
How do I do that if I literally don't understand the language & can't boot past the command prompt...
Anonymous User
Oct 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM
what happens when you boot with OS CD?
Do you get an option to press any key and can you see setup for install or repair
I have a snapshot of the screen - that would really be the only way of explaining/showing the members of this forum how severe/problematic the issue is...

How do I post an attachment? I had to take it with my digital camera as it's on a different computer...