-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
-
Hello,

I have an Acer stack system, that had windows XP home basic installed on it.
When i purchased the computer i made recovery discs as required.But unfortunately when I moved home, i lost the recovery discs and did not find out until i had a major problem with the operating system.

I could not get the system to run, but every time i looked through the drive i found that the files and folders were disappearing.
I thought the only thing that could be causing this was a virus, so with the advice of a friend i had to format my hard drive.

But silly me i forgot to look out the recovery discs first, and found that i had lost them after i formatted the drive.
As i am a complete novice i thought that as when i purchased the computer, then i must have purchased the operating system.
But to my surprise i had only purchased a copy as it was pre installed.

Now i have been told that if i get a loan of a copy of windows XP, and install it on my machine, but use the product key i have on my computer then all will be OK.

Is there any truth in this?.

I would be most grateful for any advice you can give me on this problem, I do not want to pay Acer another £50 just to get my pc going again.

Thank you
Steve .

1 reply

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
June 2, 2021
Hello Steve,

No, you were mislead.

Your product key is unique and will not work with another OS disk.

Furthermore, if you use a Windows copy that has already been registered and make the necessary updates, you will get a counterfeit message. Furthermore, within 30 days, your system will be disabled.

Sorry but that the way the cookie crumbles.

You can always try to use a free operating system such as Linux, Ubuntu.

Good luck

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!