Left click initiates search rather than open

Solved/Closed
ndayisenga pacifique - Feb 1, 2009 at 01:31 PM
 Pradeep - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Hello,
when I use left click to open folder it does not work, but when clicking on right click it open search. and I can not access my computer property, control panel, local disc and so on using any click and when I do so this message comes"this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action .create an association in the set associations control panel.
Related:

10 responses

I had the same problem. I found this and it fixed it :D
A. According to Microsoft, this behavior can occur when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types.

For example, say you were trying to add the Print Directory feature to a folder in XP. This change could cause the problem you are describing.

Microsoft acknowledges that this is a problem in Knowledge Base article #321379 and offers the following fix:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.
hey I hve same problem wid my pc.nd I did same as you said but it does not work.still when I left click on disk drives it intiates search rather than open.nd d problem is only with disk drives not with any other folders.help me out to solve this
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! My laptop had been doing this for over a year and I finally got SO SICK of always right-clicking then choosing "Open." I am so glad to solve this issue! :)
YTa its really Worth... I solved my problem. v v v thanks
It worked wonders.............you are amazing.........
shawn > bhumi
Aug 2, 2009 at 07:00 PM
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

this will fix your problem..paste into the run screen
dont mind find this and click that...here is the fix...copy and paste this into the run screen and hit ok..all done.

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
yes my freind it worked perfectly yes my g thank u
thanks U da man
Thanx
Thanks a lot. Finally got it working ^^
Here is my solution for a similar situation.
Try this

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Mouse -->Buttons--> Double-speed click----> If the folder does not open set it to a lower speed setting, go to the second line lower to the Fast.
That solved my problem
Awesome - this worked - just took me all day to figure out what the heck happened and how to correct it but at least you guys helped - feel like a real tekky now :)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Thanks a ton!!! Not often you can find a quick and easy solution in such a short a mount of time...
thanks alot...it worked... searched for this for 3 hours... :)
When I click to open a drive it initiates search rather than open.. plz suggest detail steps how to go and where to change the setting
thank you helped me man................
I have a fairly large My Documents file. Folders for everything. When I open My Documents and left click on any file folder a search box appears. I simply X out and go back to folder and right click and then click on open and the folder will open. I would like to get rid of the search results and simply double left click on any folder and it will open. This all took place one night when my computer was receiving some up-dates from Microsoft.
From Keagan Hill. This helped a lot. A hell of a lot. Thanks.