Error message 0x80070002

Closed
Bill - Feb 1, 2009 at 02:03 PM
 oliver - Jun 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to do windows update XP Home edition
but all i keep getting is this errer message code Error message 0x80070002.
ive tried different ways to solve the issue but still no luck, do any of you have any ideas i can try please?

thank you

2 responses

have you tryed too do a system Restore ??? or have you even tryed too wipe ur computer out and start Fresh?? maybe that help!!!
tried restore but dosent go back far in time enough! i want to avoid starting from fresh realy by reformatting :((
go here try this site they have all kinds of Freware maybe it might help u if not go too Microsoft they maybe might have an update on home edtion for u www.freewarehome.com try that first!!! if not then go too Microsoft!! & Good Luck if ya cant get back too me i try too help u k??
Thanks TC
I did try microsoft but they dident have a clue lol.
i might end up reformatting at some point, thanks for your help mate :)
sorry sweetie if u do need anymore information Hollar at me i try too help you the best i know how K?
Thank you :)
im ringing mocrosoft now to go through the whole process again!
oliver > Bill
Jun 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM
To resolve this problem, remove the download directory, and then visit the update locations again. To do this, follow these steps:
1.Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
2.Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
3.Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Stop.
4.Minimize the Services snap-in.
5.Rename the SoftwareDistribution directory. To do this, follow these steps:
6.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
7.Type cd %windir%, and then press ENTER.
8.Type ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp, and then press ENTER
9.Type exit, and then press ENTER .

Note When you remove the %windir%\softwaredistribution folder, the history list is erased from the "Review your Updates" section of the Windows Update Web site. This action will not affect the currently installed updates on your computer. Subsequent updates will appear in the history list.
Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
Maximize the Services snap-in.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Start.
Close the Services snap-in window.
Visit the Windows Update Web site, the Microsoft Update Web site, or the WSUS server again, and then download an update.
If you still receive the same errors, verify that you have correctly performed steps 1 through 3.
If you still cannot install the update, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
906602 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/906602/ ) How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues