I am using Windows 7 in my laptop. I have been experiencing the same thing as the others "a Blank/black screen after logging on with the cursor. However I attempted the above solutions (i pressed ctl-alt-del) and when I open the task manager I still get the blank screen and 3 message boxes stating:
1. Taskmgr.exe - ordinal not found
The ordinal 18 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll
2. ccSvcHst.exe - Application error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occured in the application at location 0x76429617.
3. Run DLL
There was a problem starting shell32.dll
The oparating system cannont run %1.
I can suggest the two possible solution for you, which are following:-
- Go to manufacturer's site and download latest drivers for your video card
- Get to safe mode by hitting f8 on boot up, uninstall all video card drivers
- Reboot the computer into safe mode - Install fresh video drivers
- Restart system and let it start Windows normally
Check your BIOS settings and see if you can lock the PCI bus frequency and set PCIe frequency to "auto".
It sounds like either your video drivers are corrupted or your overclock is over stressing components on the PCI/e bus. Sometimes an overclock can bring problems even days or weeks after having been without problems.
Please, bare in mind that before any answer given on the forum, you should know that there are volunteers who give their time trying to solve user problems. They do have a life other than this forum including me.