Dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7.....

Closed
Royal - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM
 Royal - Jan 25, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Hello,

Yes i was trying to dual boot with Windows 7 and XP but i made a separate partition for Windows XP from my windows 7 OS. I could not get it to load the XP CD installation disk i would just get a BSOD until i changed the hdd controller from ACHI to IDE in the BIOS but i can't use windows 7 when i do that? Well i finally got it to install so i changed back to try ACHI to get back on my windows 7 OS but it went to XP again and wouldn't show a choice to pick windows 7 when it booted it just when into XP (which didn't run because i was using ACHI again) so i used my Windows 7 disc to get to command prompt ran /fixmbr and /fixboot etc. and got windows 7 working again but now i can't get back to the XP OS. Should I back up all my data and reload my data but install XP first? Will it work with ACHI or will i have to change to IDE everytime? Should i try and update the BIOS because CPU-Z is telling me the date is 10/22/2009.
Computer Specs:
Gateway NV52
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
RAM: 4GB
Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
BIOS: Pheonix Technologies LTD V1.14
Thank you in advance for the help i hope this is more than enough information to help find a solution i have been working on it for a few days now.
Related:

1 response

EasyBCD; Will allow you to change your MBR to include both Windows 7/Windows XP, easy to use interface, just tell it what partition has what OS and it will make the MBR for you. No problem. And can be done inside both XP and 7.
Okay so what commands should I use sorry about that I know how to use /fixmbr but I'm unsure on how to do what you explained make the mbr where u can boot to both? I would greatly appreciate it if you explain it thanks! But any ideas on how to get XP using ACHI instead of IDE?