Downloaded driver crashed Acer laptop

Closed
Celia - Jan 26, 2012 at 03:22 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 26, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Hello,

I have a Verbatim mobile hard drive which I've been using with my MacBook Pro, as it doesn't show up on my husbands Acer laptop I downloaded a driver from the Verbatim website. As I opened the zip file the machine crashed and won't reboot. It won't reboot in safe mode and just stays in 'dos' saying a recent driver was corrupt and to insert the original CD which of course we don't have. Does anyone know how to bypass this? As we know which driver caused it shouldn't we just be able to delete that file and reboot? Grateful for any/all suggestions!

Cheers
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 26, 2012 at 05:44 PM
I suggest you press F8 multiple times during the boot process. This should get you into "Safe Mode". While in Safe Mode you can go Control Panel - (classic mode) - Device Manager and delete the device that is causing the problem.

Alternatively, if you have Vista or Windows 7, you can boot from the Windows DVD and do a "Repair". That should fix the problem.

The Windows and Mac Operating Systems use different disk formatting methods. The only common format is FAT32.