Humming Hard Disk

Closed
LaptopLinux - Feb 12, 2012 at 01:06 AM
 LaptopLinux - Feb 15, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Hello,
My Laptop every now and then makes a humming noise from its hard disk and lately has gotten longer and more frequent every time. Is this something to worry about? Please help.
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 12, 2012 at 04:42 AM
Hello,

Since you are asking, you already worried and if I were you I would be too.

You will agree that the hum is not normal. A laptop in good order will not hum.

It would be just dust and yet it could be a loose part or a circuit problem. A day may come where you will not be able to boot.

I suggest that you take the laptop to a qualified technician for a diagnosis.

Good luck
Thanks, i thought something was up, I will replace it as it is old, thanks again.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 13, 2012 at 05:15 AM
You are welcome. But, I suggest that you look inside first, could be just a dust problem.
I Looked inside it recently and there is no sign of dust do you know of anything else that is holding it in?.
Should i just spray the inside of it if its dusty? By the way it has been doing this for a few years now but has gotten really bad lately. And it froze the other day while humming.
The message 2 above this one was related to something else i was asking in another question, sorry
Feb 13, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Yes spray, but just with compressed air. Don't attempt to touch or vacuum.

You may be using your lap in a dusty environment. Dust is on going war especially in large cities, it's like fighting organized crime, it the cleaning is must be constantly repeated.

The only people that I know who are dust free are those who, loyal subjects of our Majesty the Queen, who were flooded in Australia. Yet they have toxic mushrooms in their laptops.

I truly hope the dusting will make a difference for you. Please let me know as I am a volunteer helper here.

Cheers
Its not dusty and i realized that it has a light click of death (It was doing that before, besides, i might be getting some parts for it soon. Thank you Ambucias for your help.
Feb 14, 2012 at 05:05 AM
You are most welcome.

What is "light click of death" ?
It sounds like the click of death, but quieter. at least i think it is, The model of hard disk is Hitachi Travelstar 40GB SATA

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Feb 15, 2012 at 04:41 AM
But what do you mean by "click of death", what is it?
It basicly means the hard disk is dead:

Wikipedia Explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death

Its not as bad as the one they show, The click on mine may or may not be the click of death. I know age has something to do with it doing that. though.