2nd SATA drive's files are inaccessible

Solved/Closed
sashen - Feb 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM
 sashen - Feb 23, 2012 at 09:22 AM
Hello,

I'm really hoping someone here can help (and thanks, in advance, for your time).

Here's the situation:

I just got a new HP with Win7. I added a SATA HD from my old computer (that was running XP). The 2nd drive is recognized as E:, and I can see all the files on it.

But when I try to open most files, I get an error saying I don't have permission to open the file, and the instruction to contact the owner or administrator to change permissions.

If I try to copy/move some files from the old drive to the new drive, I'll get a similar error.

I installed an application and tried to access data on the old drive and, again, I get an error that the file cannot be opened, "Cause: Access permission denied. File may be marked Read only or locked (13)"

I'm stumped.

Any help you can provide would be HUGELY appreciated (this is my wife's computer and I'll be a big hero if I can fix it ;-) )

Thanks again.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 23, 2012 at 01:15 AM
The 3rd suggestion on that page did the trick (that is, the 2nd command prompt suggestion)

THANKS!

I'm a hero this morning ;-)