Monitor gone after a windows auto update

Solved/Closed
Peg - Mar 17, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 21, 2012 at 05:07 AM
Hello,
i am at my wits end. after an auto update from windows, i had the bsod, after turned pc off and back on my acer monitor was black. It kinda flashed a gray then black - not even getting that "no signal" to show up on it. I plugged in an old dinosaur monitor (gateway ev700) ugh - takes up whole desk space but it does work fine, so the video card is okay. Uninstalled the updates, tried the acer again and still the same. reinstalled the updates which i did see some nvidia updates in there (didn't know I had windows set to update other's software - I promptly turned that allowance off) but now i had the nvidia icon up saying updates available so went directly to their site and updated driver to what they just put out in this past few days actually. Still, nothing. Do you still all think it's ram or the plug coming loose (not sure how unless from blowing canned air in there) I didn't see one loose when i opened up to clean off dust bunnies as suggested especially with this other monitor working okay when its hooked to the card? I wonder of course wth the windows update had in it that caused this except for possible constant auto restarts more than once after another but not sure as it did this crap overnight while i was asleep. Puter was fine when went to bed, and dead by morning (the monitor anyway) and thats when I saw what had happened about the updates. Only other info i had was the bsod had a irql not equal or something error on it -

Hello,
forgot to say this was the recent windows update of march 15 2012. also just now notice on here do you auto populate the type of system i am running or is it your information - I ask because of the safari 535.11 shown in this window and i don't or didn't have safari on my computer so wondered if something else was added in these updates as well now.
thanx i look forward to any help and insite.

<config>Windows XP
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 18, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Dear Peg,

Windows updates will not affect graphics or video. The March 15 Windows updates (4 files) were security updates.

Have you tried another monitor ?

Have you tried booting in safemode?
Hi Ambucias -
well the update wasn't just security it was also that software distribution one and thats where it did download video drivers but that aside if it affected the monitor i can only think it may of caused it to restart several times in concession but not sure - it could of been on its way to death on it's own (the irql not less than or equal bsod error) but the timing of this and of course it working right b4 the updates are what drives ya nuts - u know those electrical type problems that u know it has to be something simple but you just can't get it figured out. To an end tho, - yes i have another monitor i am using now on here - my old yet faithful dinosaur gateway ev700 (huge case small screen 16" i think) and I did plug the Acer into another old tower i have and it did the same thing so i have resolved myself to the fact it has fried. I am not sure if worth the cost of fixing it (probably needs some new can(s) inside soldered in or saving some money and just buyin another one.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 19, 2012 at 04:04 AM
Hi Peg,

It's difficult to understand your explanations.

1. If you connect the computer to another monitor and it works, then the monitor is faulty.

2. If you connect the computer to another monitor and it doesn't work it may just be a graphic card issue or a motherboard issue.
Mar 21, 2012 at 05:07 AM
Hi Peg,

You are most welcome.
Hello Ambucias,
sorry i guess i did ramble some. to make it short and sweet ( i have 2 different monitors here)
1) i connected the computer to another different monitor and it works yes. that is what i am using now till i can get another flat screen monitor. (tho i get no beeps so still wonder about ram issue-that for another post/thread tho)
2) i connected the bad acer monitor to another older computer i have and it still did not work, did not display "no signal" - did just the same flash of gray and then black.

So yes consensus is - the monitor is fried and needs to go to a scrap pile.

Thanks for all the tips and help on this site - its wonderful even if i couldn't fix mine 8-)