My laptop will not start up.

Closed
Amelielucia Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday April 25, 2012 Status Member Last seen May 9, 2012 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Amelielucia Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday April 25, 2012 Status Member Last seen May 9, 2012 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Hello,

I have an HP dv6700 and when I turn it on, it will not go past the grey screen. I can get into f2, f10 and such but it does nothing when I try to restore by using f11. So far I have tried running a windows memory diagnostic which says it is fine - tried removing all power sources, holding the power button for 1-2 minutes but it still doesn't work.
I have windows Vista. When I turn it on, it shows a bar at the bottom of the screen stating windows is loading files, then it shows the little windows bar as though it is going to start, but then nothing. It just stays on the grey screen - forever!

Please help!
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 25, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select the option "Last known good configuration"

If the problem still exists then follow the step 1 and this time select the option

"Safe mode". Let me know if you are able to boot into safe mode.

Good Luck
Amelielucia Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday April 25, 2012 Status Member Last seen May 9, 2012
Apr 25, 2012 at 07:04 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. F8 does nothing - either way.

I went into BIOS and did a hard disk self test and after about I minute it says "#10008 - Replace Hard Disk"

I got this same error a few months ago but was able to go into my boot directory where it was trying to boot from the dvd/cd and changed it to hard drive. That worked then. However, this time it's already booting from the hard drive.

Is my hd shot? Is there a way to force a full diagnostic?

I'm lost when it comes to computers!

Thanks!
Amelielucia Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday April 25, 2012 Status Member Last seen May 9, 2012
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
OK....after a lot of googling, I tried making diff boot discs but my laptop doesn't seem to know it has a dvd/cd drive...again. Yes, this has happened many times b4.

So now I have removed the hd (super easy!), wrapped it up and put it in the freezer. I have no restore disks so, as I understand, this may get it to work long enough to create those...? All of my important data is backed up on an ext hd, so I'm not so concerned with that.

If I end up trying to replace the hd, and cannot create restore discs, how do I get the operating system back on it?

Thanks!