Change default number format

Closed
Ezmay - May 18, 2012 at 05:31 AM
 Ezmay - Jun 1, 2012 at 05:48 AM
Hello,

I use Excel a lot, but still trip up a lot too!
Does anyone out there know if there is a way to change the default number format for all new files I create?
Currently, I highlight all the blank cells on all the sheets and change the format before I begin, but I'm sure in a previous version of Excel I managed to tell it how I wanted new files to be created. I've found a section in Excel Options where I can set the font and number of sheets, but not formatting.
I'd be really grateful if anyone knows how to change this. I'm using Excel 2007.

Many Thanks,

Ezmay

Related:

1 response

Ezmay,
I imagine you could create a template with the desired formatting, then open that template each time.
Josh
Yes, infact you can do this. What I did was entered a value in one cell. Copied it, Selected a column and pasted that value into the column. Hit Ctrl + End and went to the last row. Selected the last row and pasted the value in to the last row. Hit Ctrl + End to get to the last column of the last row. HIt Shift + Ctrl + Home to select the entire work book, formated the cells as desired. Hit delete to remove the pasted data. File, Save As, Other Types, select the template file type. Next time you open excel, you can select from My Templates. Hope this helped.
Josh
Thank You Both.
This has worked, but I have to open the saved file each time, rather than being able to use Ctrl+N for a new file.
It's a great work around, but if anyone else knows how to amend the 'New' template, I'd be really grateful.
Many Thanks,
Ez.