PC wont turn on when GFX card is plugged in

Closed
DanBourlo - May 18, 2012 at 04:35 PM
 DanBourlo - May 18, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Hello,

I recently had my power supply die, and ended up buying a Coolmax M-500B to replace it. 500W, figured there was no problem with powering my graphics card. once getting it, i couldnt find my 2x four pin to PCI-E adapter and had to buy one. Turns out one of the plastic slots was deformed, so i just spliced on a PCI-E plug from the old power supply. I plugged everything in and my PC wont power up. I unplug the graphics card, and it works fine (i have an onboard GFX card as well).

My question is: Is it that my power supply cant actually power my graphics card, or could there be something else wrong with either my splice job (dont really see how) o the card itself.

Thanks

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 18, 2012 at 05:01 PM
The PCI-e 6 pin plug has 12v on all pins opposite the latch and ground on the other 3 pins. If you just replaced the power supply's PCI-e plug with the salvaged plug it should be OK. Otherwise you need to use only the 12v wires from two 4 pin peripheral molex plugs plus the ground wires. Otherwise you may not get sufficient power to run the video card. You didn't tell us the model GFX card so I can't comment of the wattage needed for the PS.
Currently i am running a GeForce GTX 460. And i already have the 6 pin plug spliced into two 4 pin (I took the defective converter and more or less, just replaced the head). I had a 500 W hooked up before, so i made the assumption that another 500 W PS would do.