Both CD- ROM and HDD not detected in BIOS

Closed
vishy - Jun 10, 2012 at 01:10 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Hello,

My desktop had windows xp installed in it. Yesterday I tried to installed XP- sp2 in it. I inserted the bootable cd and repartitioned the whole hard drive. Then selected C drive for installing the windows XP- SP2. then the option came formatting the drive with NTFS format. I selected it and C drive was formatted. But after formatting, the system shows an error. The message was" The drive cannot be formatted due to an error, please use another partition for installing windows. Then I selected D drive and the same message was displayed again. Then it showed that there is an error in installtion and press F3 to quit setup.

Then I restarted the windows and tried to changes booting device priority. Now in BIOS, only floppy drive is being displayed. No HDD and CD-ROM is displayed in booting devices. But initially before installing XP- SP2 cd, I entered BIOS and changed the priority to CD drive. At that time, both HDD and CDROM was displayed in booting devices priority.

I dont know what to do now. Every time I open windows now it shows that "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".

And when I am entering BIOS and trying to change the boot devices priority, neither HDD nor CD-ROM is being displayed there. Hows that possible that both HDD and CD- ROM is not detected in BIOS? I need to boot me system.

Please help guys. Ur advice might be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Vishal
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Do the hard drive and CD drive share the same IDE cable? Sometimes a failed hard drive will prevent the BIOS from seeing anything on the same IDE cable. I suggest you detach the hard drive and see if the CD drive is then detected. You will probably need to replace the hard drive.

Good Luck