My laptop refuses to start, what's wrong?

Closed
ms. physics Posts 1 Registration date Monday September 10, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 10, 2012 - Sep 10, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Sep 10, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Hallo,
My 15 month old Compaq Presario has suddenly started playing dead when I attempt to power it on. When I take out and replace the battery, it turns on for a couple seconds (lights, fan, start-up screen)..then at the point when Windows normally starts, the computer dies. I've tried a total reboot, removing the battery, discharging the capacitors; no luck. I'm a student and if I don't find a way to fix this then all my programs and data are lost. If there's any solution please help..
Thank you in advance :)

..oh and could it be as simple as needing a new battery?

oh and I've also called HP they told me to try a system restore -.- pressing any function key has no effect it seems..
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Sep 10, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Dear Ms Physics,

What you have described is a very serious problem which seems to be related to the motherboard failure.

Of course, HP online attendants, when they don't know the solution, will always suggest to restore to factory settings.

If you can't boot in safe mode, in my view, HP sold you a lemon. Only 3 months after the warranty expired your Presario gives up on you!

You must call them back and insist to get satisfaction, speek to a superviser, then a manager. I suggest that you do not delay!

To preserve your data, you will need to consult a technician to have it transfered to another device.

Good luck