USB no longer working after use on MAC?

Closed
JB_ADD Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 13, 2012 - Nov 13, 2012 at 06:15 AM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Hello, hoping someone here can help me!

My colleague used my USB flash drive on her MAC to transfer some files to the work network but when we've plugged it back in to the PC (running Windows XP), we can't seem to access the flash drive anymore.

The icon shows in the tray and it's listed in My Computer - only as 'Removable Drive' instead of the named device it was.

Any help on how we can recover the flash drive and get it working on Windows again - hopefully without losing its conent - would be appreciated! I've tried opening the properties of the drive but it just freezes the computer.

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Nov 13, 2012 at 06:23 AM
Hi,

when you plug a USB drive which has a windows file format on there (NTFS/FAT32), the Mac asks you if you want to convert the USB to be used for Mac and I imagine you've clicked yes.

With the USB attacked to your windows computer, right click "my computer" and click "Manage".

click "disk management" and in there you will see your USB drive. Right click it and format it using quick format.
JB_ADD Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 13, 2012
Nov 13, 2012 at 07:25 AM
She said she didn't see a pop up when she plugged it into the Mac but I can't vouch for that!

Thanks for the advice - I tried it on the work computers but they just keep freezing up after clicking on 'disk management' so will give it a go when I get home. I assuming that by formatting the drive we'll lose everything on it, which I suppose can't be helped unless there's another way. Thanks again.
Blocked Profile
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM
The only way would be to put it back into an apple product and copying the data first.