Desktop fault

Closed
boazoland Posts 40 Registration date Friday October 5, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM
boazoland Posts 40 Registration date Friday October 5, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Hello dude,

i have a problem with my desktop which freezes after minutes after booting which i have tv card fixed on which i think the fault is hardware.
The machine is hp
Oprating system windows xp sp3
ram is 504
could anyone help me solve the problem.

best regards,
boaz.
Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Hi boaz,

As you have identified that the TV Tuner card might be causing the system to freeze, try removing the TV Tuner card and see if the computer still freezes. In addition to that try the below mentioned steps:

1. Locate your computer where the best airflow and least dust contact are allowed.
2. Monitor the computer temperature. A third-party application such as CPUID HWMonitor is a very user-friendly program which allows you to see the current, minimum and maximum values for the computer temperature, voltages and fan speeds. (you can download this software from: https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/6587-hwmonitor/
3. Make sure the computer vents and fans remain clean of dust which can prevent the heat and fresh air to pass through efficiently. Additionally, verify that all fans are spinning correctly without unusual noises.
4. In order to clean the internal fans follow these steps:
a. Power off your computer and unplug the power cord from the back and the wall.
b. Open the service panel (Computer Cover, you can refer to the Owner's manual of your computer for disassembly instructions).
c. Locate the exhaust vents and fans and use a computer vacuum or a can of compressed air to fully remove the dust from them. You can use a small brush to clean the fan blades or vent grills if needed.
5. Ensure there is no cable interference on the fans
6. Some times when moving the computer to from one place to another or during shipping the retaining screws on the processor heat sink can become loose, although this is rare it may happen. To fix this, wait until the system is completely cold and secure the four screws retaining the heat sink, use a cross action sequence until they are tight, don't over tight them.
7. Update the System BIOS and Video Drivers. An out of date BIOS can cause heat issues by having an outdated temperature table for the system. (Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.)

Do reply with results.
boazoland Posts 40 Registration date Friday October 5, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Zohaib R,

It's now working fine
thanks very much...

regards,
boaz.