Gateway Desktop, PS2 Keyboard, USB Mouse does not function.

Closed
easttexasdragon Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2012 - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM
 Derek D. - Jan 25, 2014 at 01:30 AM
Hello,
Hey guys I'm working on a Gateway Desktop running windows xp, They shut the computer down and when the booted it back up the next morning the PS2 keybord and the USB mouse showed to have power because they both have leds burning but they will not function in windows. Windows XP loaded perfectly with desktop & icons but the mouse and keyboard wouldnt do anything, I figured it has a virus that has disabled the drivers for mouse and keyboard , The problem is how do you do a system restore when you cant move around in windows? So heres what I have done or tryed so far. This gateway is eguiped with a system restore outside windows by holding F11 while computer boots up. But it ask for a recovery CD that didnt come with the computer so thats out of the question. (Noticed that the KEYBOARD and Mouse work outside of Windows) Time to problem solve.... Tryed a PS2 mouse, still didnt work. Got a different USB mouse and plugged it into a different place, windows found the mouse and installed the drivers then I got the error that this device may not work properly and it didnt. Unpluged everything and booted up the computer, waited 5 minutes then shut it down and plugged up the keyboard and mouse and booted up again thinking that it would reload the drivers...Still didnt work. Ok time to switch gears, Got a AVG Rescue Disk/ USB Stick. Using Alt. and F10 set the boot to USB and rebooted computer, selected scan harddrive. After two hours it finished and had found a few things but just adware NO Viruses, Booted back into windows, Still doesnt work....ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?

Related:

5 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 21, 2012 at 02:38 AM
Hi easttexasdragon,

Try the below mentioned steps and see if this fixes the problem.

1. Verify there are no broken/damaged pins or damage to the cable. Replace the keyboard/mouse for damaged pins/cable.
2. Boot the system to Safe Mode and check. Start tapping the F8 key after power on/restart. Once the Advance Boot Menu appears, select Safe Mode.
3. If the keyboard works fine in Safe Mode, reinstall the keyboard/mouse driver, if there is keyboard/mouse driver for your keyboard.

Do reply with results.
easttexasdragon
Dec 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Thanks Zohaib, 1. The Keyboard and Mouse work outside of Windows so its not going to be a broke cable or pins, I replaced the Mouse and keyboard and windows found and installed the drivers but said there was an error and the device might not fuction and they didnt. 2. Booting the system into windows safe mode has the same results as normal windows, The LEDs are all on but the Mouse/keyboard dont funtion.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Hi easttexasdragon,

As you mentioned you replaced the keyboard and you receive an error stating the Device might not function properly, such error messages are generated by the Device Manager due to compatibility issue. I would like to know if your new keyboard and mouse are same as the original. Also, in your reply please include the exact model number of your Gateway Desktop.

Please do write back to us.
easttexasdragon
Dec 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
The Original Keyboard is a PS2, The only one that I had to replace it was a USB so I used it, When I got the error msg I connected the original back. The original mouse was a USB and I replaced it with a USB and got the same error msg. The Gateway Desktop computer is a GT5263E
easttexasdragon
Dec 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM
More Info.... The Computer was left on over night, The next morning it was behaving oddly so it was rebooted and when it came back up the keyboard and Mouse didnt respond. Before this everything was working.
Dec 22, 2012 at 05:59 AM
Hi easttexasdragon,

Thank you for replying with the details. After the troubleshooting you have done so far, I assume there is some problem with the functionality of the USB/Mouse/Keyboard ports. If any of these ports happen to behave abnormally, we try below mentioned steps:

1. Power Off the computer and disconnect any power source or external devices attached to it.
2. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and release. This will release and flea power stored in the computer.
3. Try using the keyboard and mouse in their respective ports and check if it works.

Do reply with results.
easttexasdragon
Dec 22, 2012 at 09:58 PM
I removed everything from the computer that could supply electricity to it but the CMOS Battery. Held the power button down for 15 seconds then hooked the monitor, Ps2 keyboard,and USB mouse back up, booted up the computer, it loaded everything, after windows started gave it about 5 minutes then checked the keyboard, LED on, but keyboard unresponsive, same with mouse.
This worked for me. Thanks!
Dec 25, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Hi easttexasdragon,

After all these steps one final step to fix any hardware issues will be to reseat the CMOS jumper. This jumper you can find on the motherboard. Preferably take a technician's help to perform this step. If you want to do it yourself you can refer to the service manual for details on safety precautions:

https://www.gateway.com/worldwide/support/

Do reply with results.
easttexasdragon Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2012
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
To late....The owner found the recovery disk that he made after he bought the computer. So I installed it. we got 100% downloaded and 33% installed when it stopped installing and rebooted thats when I noticed the the bootup screen said Windows 7.....He had gave me the disk for his laptop, So now we are waiting on shipment of the Gateway recovery disk. Thanks for your help.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 26, 2012 at 03:31 AM
Hi easttexasdragon,

Thank you for clarifying on the problem. I will await your response after you receive the disc.

Do reply with results.