Dell laptop vostro 1520, no start up,black screen

Closed
si89sci Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 6, 2013 - Jan 4, 2013 at 03:17 AM
 Ranjan - Nov 27, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with my dell laptop vostro 1520, and it has had 2 phases.first, I press the power button it turns on ,but screen black,simply nothing but the fan and drive sound like spinning and working,only the 3 numlock,scroll and capitol lights on,not the cpu one, and it just hangs in there like that.Second, now after several attempts in the previous state,now I press the power,it turns on,no lights on, the in 7 or 8 secs it turns off,again screen totally black.
p.s:battery and power and adapter are fine,i tried the "take power and battery off and press power 30-60 secs" and nothing happened, no such history in the past.

Thanks
Related:

10 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
May 9, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Hi Jan Kral,

The problem seems to be different in your case as the caps, num and scroll lock-LEDs are responsive. It looks the LCD has problem. Follow the steps below to determine the point of failure:

1. Run LCD BIST. To run LCD BIST power off the computer and then power on using "D + Power Button" and see if the colors appear on the screen. If nothing appears on the screen or the video is distorted it indicates the test has failed. If test fails, the LCD is faulty, else follow next Step
2. Check Video on external Monitor.
3. If video is displayed on the external monitor and no video on the notebook LCD, this is another indication of the LCD failure.
4. If the Video is not displayed on the External Monitor also, this indicates Video Card failure.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/10GaKAc
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Hi si89sci,

As you mentioned keyboard status lights are always on and none of them is blinking or off, this indicates some issue other than normal Power On Self Test failure. It requires some advanced troubleshooting. Please try the below mentioned steps and check if there is any change:

1. Remove the battery and AC adapter from the computer.
2. Disconnect any peripherals such as printer or any other USB devices.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
4. Remove the following components one by one:

a. Media bay device (Optical/DVD drive)
b. Memory (or RAM)
c. Hard drive
d. WLAN mini-card
e. Keyboard

Note: Remove the above mentioned components only if you are comfortable removing them. Otherwise take a technician's help. You can find steps on how to remove these components from the Service Manual which you can download from the below mentioned link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_vostro_notebook/vostro-1520_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

5. After removing the above mentioned components connect only the AC adapter to the computer and press the power button and see if there is any change in the keyboard status lights.

Do reply with results.
Hi Zohaib,

thanks for the post. I had the same problem and did as what you have mentioned above. when power up the laptop, nothing happen. no luck. I am thinking it might be the motherboard problem.

any other ideas?
May 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Hi jankral,

I would like to know the result of each steps performed. Were you able to run LCD BIST? Also, request you to mention the exact System Model Number of your Dell computer.

Please do write back to us.
Jan Kral Posts 1 Registration date Sunday May 5, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 5, 2013
May 5, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Hi!

I have got same problem, I did all steps you noticed, but still same problem goes on- fun is running, Power On/Off diode and Capital/Num Lock are working but screen is blind. Any else idea? Thankx

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Thank you!

connected to external monitor have failed same result... So, finally - video card fault?
Hi Zohaib, I also have the same kind of problem, so I performed the test you indicated. I was able to run the LCD BIST, and right now Im using an external monitor as the laptop LCD isn't working. Im using a Vostro 3560. Thanks.
Jun 11, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Hi clinker,

Normally, when the LCD BIST passes, this indicates the LCD is good and good video on external monitor confirms a healthy graphics card. In this scenario probably a loose connection between the LCD panel and Motherboard is causing the problem. Take a technician's help or by yourself re-seat the LCD cable. You can find steps on how to re-seat the LCD cable from here.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Sep 25, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Hi jack,

The steps suggested (i.e., removing parts) in this response are to be performed after observing the initial response of the computer i.e., the signs of power or beeps. What is the state of the computer? Please reply if there are any beeps heard or the status of LEDs change. Please check the below mentioned video to identify the initial state of your computer:

Dell Laptop Won't Power Up Troubleshooting in 99 Seconds

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
Oct 18, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Hi ap,

The problem is seemingly a No POST (Power On Self Test) situation. Please try the steps in the below mentioned link and reply with results:

Notebooks Cannot Complete Power On Self Test (POST)

In your reply please mention the exact System Model Number of your laptop if your system model is other than Vostro 1520.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
Jan 6, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Hi si89sci,

Now that you have already tried to remove and Flea Power from the computer and there is no change, I would recommend running the Dell Diagnostics on your computer. Shut Down the computer. Press and hold the Fn key from the bottom row of the keyboard and the press the power button. Check if you hear any beeps or any error messages come on the screen.

Do reply with results.
si89sci Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 6, 2013
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I did what you said,but no difference, screen is black,only 3 numlock,caplock and scrolllock are on,no hdd light,and just hanging in there,no beep or any message...
It's rather complicated ,isn't it? I really don't have any idea what's going on,I really appreciate your help, thank you
yes, I got a beep sound and a flash in the screen.so can u pls temme wat to do next?
YEs, I got beep sound... what to do next ?