CD/DVD Drive TSSTcorpDVD+-RWTS-L632HATA not recognized by Vista

Closed
Newbie44 Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 4, 2013 - Jan 4, 2013 at 07:15 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jan 7, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Hello,

I am using a 32-bit Windows OS on a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop. My DVD drive appears in "My Computer" as well as in the "Device Manager". The symbol appears normal in the Device Manager and according to the "Device Status" it is working properly. However, it does not recognize or play discs. First, I made sure that the firmware for both my drive and graphic card were up-to-date via dell.support.com. Then, I ran the dell support app as well as the Microsoft Mr Fix-it app and both show that the device should work. I then tried uninstalling the drive and re-booting the computer to re-install. The drive installed successfully but still refuses to play discs. I then proceeded to access Regedit using the Run app so as to delete both the upper and lower registries as recommended on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs After deleting the registries located at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} I uninstalled the DVD drive again before re-starting and re-installing the drive. Again this solution did not work although the drive still appears and according to diagnostics is still working properly. My final attempt consisted of uninstalling all media players and burning software other than Windows media players using the Add/Remove programs app in the control panel, re-starting the computer, uninstalling the DVD drive again and checking the registry to make sure both the upper and lower registries were gone and re-booting to re-install the drive yet again. This also did not work, but once again the drive appears in My Computer as well as in the Device Manager and as always both the Dell and Microsoft diagnostic tools say that everything is fine.

Can anybody help???

Related:

2 responses

Newbie44 Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 4, 2013
Jan 4, 2013 at 07:20 PM
sorry...I meant to type upper and lower filters in the registry editor located at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 7, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) First check if it is able to read other branded Discs.

2) Try cleaning the drive lens. Click on the below link and follow the instructions.

https://ccm.net/faq/2917-lens-cleaners

Good Luck