January 31, 2013
-
Registration date
Thursday January 31, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2013
-
Hello, My Dell desktop has basically stopped working. The OS is Windows XP, All was fine until I tried to download a zip program. Now I cannot open IE, Outlook, Microsoft programs or anything else. I tried to restore to an earlier date but it will not open. I have run three different scans for malware and nothing shows up.

Is it a gonner?

8 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
Hi

Have you tried to boot in safe mode with networking and then try to launch IE ?
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2013

I have been unable to do anything in safe mode, including safe with networking, that I couldn't do in normal mode.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
What was that programme and from where ?
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2013

This is the site
https://www.pokerth.net/
and it was the 7zip program that I didn't see in the fine print when I clicked Download
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
Poker is a fascinating game so my friend, Celine Dion's manager and husband says.

It says that the software is compatible with XP, Vista and Win 7. Did you unzip after download ? Where there 3 different versions ?

Did you try to install the software or you just unzipped it ? After you unzipped, what did you do ?

Just to say that if you installed or tried to install a win7 application on XP, you have corrupted the operating system, Windows and the registry. I don't know how to repair it except to attempt repair via the recovery console which would bring you back to factory settings. All of you data including applications would be lost.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2013

I did not unzip anything. I went to the control panel and uninstalled the 7zip program.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
I am confused. What is the link with the poker application and the 7zip programme.

You mean that you had previously installed 7Zip. If you did install any Win 7 programme, you have corrupted XP and my conclusion is the same even if you deleted it, the registry is corrupted.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2013

Thank you