"My removable device" shortcut virus

Solved/Closed
LostInThailand Posts 1 Registration date Thursday March 14, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 14, 2013 - Mar 14, 2013 at 02:42 PM
dj079 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday April 25, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2013 - May 14, 2013 at 05:07 AM
Hello,
When I plug my USB on my computer, a virus hides my files and creates a shortcut called "My removable device".

If I check shortcut's properties it shows this path "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe ~$WV.FAT32,_ldr@16 desktop.ini RET TLS " ".

Anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
I would really appreciate any help!

Related:

4 responses

im having the same problem with my USB flash drive. The files didnt turn into shorcut folders BUT it created a shortcut for my files(removable device shortcut icon). The files are not hidden, they can be viewed once I opened "removable device".

im looking for a solution for this problem, can anyone advise me what to do? ive tried to remove the autorun.inf and the said "virus" using the cmd prompt, and formatted my flash drive, but unfortunately once I plugged back my flash drive it turned again into a shortcut.

thank you so much and have a good day!
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 14, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Hi,

A common problem with the USB Flash drives is the files turning into shortcuts. After this problem has been identified with your pen drive, this website suggests the following fix:

https://ccm.net/faq/8734-files-on-flash-drive-changed-to-shortcuts

Do reply with results.
its great
dj079 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday April 25, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2013
May 14, 2013 at 05:07 AM
If you have virus then scan your removable device. Pick any antivirus like Norton, Kaspersky, Immunet Plus, Bitdefender, Avast, Avira etc. (if you don't have) and scan your removable device after attaching it to system. Virus will be detected and will be automatically removed. When virus is removed from your removable device, don't forget to scan your computer completely, so that every single virus is removed and you don't suffer from this problem again.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 4, 2013 at 03:36 AM
Hi shei,

Please run a thorough Virus Scan on your computer (including the USB Flash Drive) and check if this fixes the problem.

Do reply with results.