Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
-
Hey there,

I have had my laptop (a Toshiba Equium A300D - 16C) for around 5 to 6 years now and have been experiencing recurring problems with it.

Most recently, the problem has been that I will be working away on my laptop, watching videos or playing games etc. (you know, the usual rubbish for a personal laptop) and the screen will either go black, white or come up with coloured lines (I've had all sorts of colours). Unfortunately, the only thing I can do at this point is to turn it off by the main power button and restart, sometimes resulting in a startup repair.

I have read around a little (in between restarting my laptop) and have come across mention of a damaged graphics card. If this is the case, bad luck as it costs almost as much as a brand new laptop to replace.

So far I have tried cleaning up my registry, checking that the graphics card is showing up on the device manager, hoovering the fan (which I do regularly anyway, as it over heats a lot) and un-screwing a few bits and hoovering those out too to get rid of any dust.

I'm not really a computer whiz and am pretty oblivious when it comes to technical terms, so if someone could explain to me what could be going wrong and/or how it could be fixed in layman's terms, I would much appreciate it.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Many thanks.

1 reply

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
These AMD systems run HOT and the video chip eventually burns out or has problems with its connections to the motherboard. It's generally not practical to repair a 6 year old laptop.

Sorry