My laptop will no longer connect to the internet - Please Help

Closed
amy11 Posts 7 Registration date Monday June 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2013 - Jun 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Hello,

Not sure if I'm even posting in the right section but am hoping someone may be able to help me.

For some reason I can no longer connect to the internet on my Dell laptop. I don't think it is a problem with the internet/modem as I can use it on other devices. The message I get when I try to connect is Connection Unsuccessful "This computer is connected but does not have access to the internet".

I have looked a other threads and tried to update drivers as was suggested - my computer says they are all up to date.

I have no idea how to fix it, please help.

Thanks in advance,
Amy
Related:

8 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 10, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) Switch OFF your Router\Cable Modem and remove the power connections from

it.

Shutdown your PC\Laptops also. After 60 secs, turn ON your Router\Cable modem

first. After a while turn ON your PC\ Laptop.

2) If the problem still exists then check if you are able to acquire the IP address

from the router.

Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd. When "Command Prompt" appears in

the search list, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

[ Note: If you are using Windows XP then click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and

press Enter.]

"Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below command.

ipconfig/all --> Press Enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

3) Check your security key also.

Good Luck
amy11 Posts 7 Registration date Monday June 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2013
Jun 10, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have tried turning the router off but it made no difference. I've just tried the IP address but don't really know what I'm looking for, could you help me a bit more with that part please?

Thanks foe the help,
Amy
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 10, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Follow the instructions as given in Step 2. But enter the below command.
ipconfig/all > c:\ipconfig.txt --> Press Enter.
Now go to C-Drive. You can find a file named ipconfig. Upload that file to https://authentification.site and paste the download url here.
Also let me know your router brand name and complete model number.
Have you verified your Wireless security key ?
Good Luck
amy11 Posts 7 Registration date Monday June 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 12, 2013
Jun 11, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Hello,

I have done that, here is the download link http://speedy.sh/zD9rF/ipconfig.txt

My router is BT Home Hub 2.0.

Yes the wireless security key is verified. My internet was working fine until a couple of days ago.

Thanks,
Amy
Jun 11, 2013 at 06:31 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Make sure that you have turned ON your wireless network.
Click on Start --> In search bar, type ncpa.cpl and press Enter. "Network Connections" will be
opened.
Right-click on wireless network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> Scroll down and Uncheck IPv6 check box and double click on "Internet Protocol[TCP/IP] IPv4" --> Make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" options are selected.

Remove all your previous wireless network connections from the list.
Try setting up a new wireless connection.
Click on the below hyperlink "Steps" and follow the instructions.
Steps
Good Luck
I have tried this but I'm still unable to connect to the Internet.

The advice box thing that pops up saying:

"Make sure your Internet protocol bindings are correct" I've followed the steps to fix it as everything is how it is meant to be but it still doesn't fix it.

It also says "the network adapter dell wireless 1397 WLAN mini card is experiencing driver or hardware issues" Again I have followed the steps to fix this but my computer says my drivers are up to date.

Thanks.
Jun 11, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and download the drivers for your wireless network adapter.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/ShowProductSelector
Uninstall the present wireless drivers from the Device Manager and install the downloaded drivers. If the problem still exists then click on Start --> In search bar, type ncpa.cpl and press Enter. "Network Connections" will be opened. Take a snapshot of that window and upload that file to https://authentification.site and paste the download url here.
Good Luck
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 12, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Hi Amy,

After reading your initial post and all the responses from jack4rall with permission I would like to help in this situation. It seems you need the updated drivers for "Dell Wireless 1397". Please reply with the exact System Model Number of your Dell Laptop and the Operating System installed so that I can help you in finding the drivers.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Jun 12, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Thank you. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1555, processor: pentium (r) dual-core CPU t4200 @ 2.00ghz, system type 32 bit operating system. Hope this is the information you need.

Could you also advise me how to uninstall the drivers, I'm not entirely sure and don't want to uninstall something I shouldn't.

Thanks.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 12, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Hi Amy,

If you have Windows 7 32-bit Operating System, download the drivers from here. For Windows Vista 32-bit click here. Follow the steps listed under "Installation Instructions" on the page(s). As stated by jack4rall, you must uninstall the existing drivers first.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Jun 12, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Please could you tell me how to unistall drivers.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jun 12, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Hi Amy,

Press and hold the Windows key on the keyboard and then press R key, "Run" dialog box will appear, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Device Manager window will appear, expand "Network adapaters" right click the wireless card from the list of devices and click uninstall. Restart the computer.

This will uninstall the drivers.

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Hi,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but now it doesn't even find any networks when I try to connect to the Internet.
Jun 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Hi Amy,

No wireless networks being detected can happen if the wireless switch is off. Please ensure that the wireless switch is on by pressing the Fn + F2 key on the keyboard. Then try to detect the wireless networks.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Hello, the wireless is definitely on. I tried turning it off and on again to see if that worked but it still doesn't show any networks. It did before I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers.

Would uninstalling and re-installing windows fix the problem do you think? Thanks for your help.
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Hello,
Please permit to add few lines
Try this 1
Click on the below hyperlink "Reconfigure" and follow the instructions to reconfigure your wireless network manually.
Reconfigure
Make sure that you have entered the correct SSID, choose the correct encryption mode and entered the correct security key.
Good Luck
Hello jack4all,

Thanks for trying to help me. I've tried to follow the steps in the link but my computer displays differently to the one in the example so I get stuck as my computer doesn't display the wireless network connection tab. I have followed the instructions to make sure the wireless configuration zero is set as they have stated but don't know how to find the rest of the info I need to continue. Thanks.
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Hi Amy,

Re-installing the Operating System is suggested as the last resort. Before re-installing the Operating System lets try a little more troubleshooting:

1. Run Windows 7 Network Troubleshooter. To run Windows 7 Network Troubleshooter right-click the network icon in the notification area of your taskbar, and then click Troubleshoot problems.
2. Load BIOS defaults and re-seat the wireless card.
3. In "Control Panel" go to "Power options" > "Wireless adapter settings" > Change to "Max performance on battery". Click here to find steps.
4. Power cycle router (if possible). Power off router for 2 minutes. Restart the computer. Power on the router and try connecting.
5. Update BIOS from Dell's support site using wired connection.
Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Do reply with results.

Hello,

I will try this but I have windows vista not 7 and am not sure where to find network trouble shooting, please could you advise me where it is on vista, it didn't appear when I searched. Thanks.
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Hi Amy,

The steps are same for Windows Vista and Windows 7. In Windows Vista you can open "Network Diagnostics" by right-clicking the "network icon" in the "notification area", and then clicking "Diagnose and repair". See the image below:

Image for Network Icon in Notification Area of Windows Vista

Hope this helps.