LED comes on but system doesn't boot up

Closed
RJ - Feb 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM
 mick69 - Mar 29, 2009 at 05:27 PM
What great information. I'm so glad I found this forum. I have an HP Slimline PC. When I press the on button, the LED light comes on, the DVD light flickers, the fan spins like a top, the monitor light stays yellow and nothing happens. It's inconsistent. Sometimes I can press the button once and everything comes up normally and works just fine. Other times I have to turn it off and on 20 times. Sometimes I just give up.
I did a complete restore with restore disc. No change. I did the BIOS reset, no change.
I've taken the hard drive out and put it in another slimline and it works fine. I've put another power supply in and it still does the same thing. I've double checked all the cables and plugs ins. The power cable, mouse & keyboard, & monitor work fine on another computer. I hope someone can lead me in the right direction to resolve the problem. Thanks
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM
You have done a good job eliminating parts that can fail. About the only thing left is the motherboard or CPU. The Slimline PCs don't allow much room for replacing the CPU (and that will probably void the warranty). If it's still on warranty I would call HP for help. Good Luck
Thanks! I appreciate your quick response. I ran the diagnostics on the motherboard, etc. and it all passed. I've had the unit for a year and a half so I think it's out of warranty. Just doesn't make sense to me that it works fine once it does boot up.
The board is still under warranty,go to the hp site, this is a known issue for the m/b's in these units. Otherwise try a pci express video card if you can find one for that computer. if you get a heat gun and heat up the video processor it will run for a day or 2. i have the same problem but dont have the serial for my tower and hp wont repair it,so im looking for a video card to try. i need to know if a video card will bypass the faulty onboard video.