WesternDigital laptop harddisk

Closed
Compuser123 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2013 - Sep 1, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Sep 4, 2013 at 05:11 PM
I have an unused Western Digital laptop harddisk in an external enclosure that I'm trying to connect to a laptop via USB. Once connected, the disk gave off the sound of spinning, but my two laptops do not seem to recognize it. Nothing on Windows Explorer or Control Panel indicates its presence. Would anyone please shed some light?
Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 4, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Hi Compuser123,

You have mentioned that your Western Digital Hard Drive is unused. If this is a new Hard Drive, you must allocate a drive letter to the Hard Drive when using for the first time. Please check in the "Disk Management" if both the Hard Drives (internal and external) are available. To check in the disk management:

1. Press and hold the "Windows Key" and then press the "R" key on the keyboard. This will launch the "Run" dialog box.
2. Type "diskmgmt.msc" and hit Enter.
3. In the bottom of the window that opens you will see the drives listed.
4. If the drive is listed, this indicates that the enclosure is good. Right-click and try to assign a drive letter to the Hard Drive.
5. If the drive is not detected in the "Disk Management", try to use a different enclosure and check if the Hard Drive is detected.

Do reply with results.