I have internet access, but I can't visit any websites(windows7)

Closed
mtzzzzz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2013 - Sep 8, 2013 at 01:36 AM
mtzzzzz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2013 - Sep 8, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Hello,
Two days ago at about 4 pm my computer showed me the FBI scam screen. I looked up ways to get rid of it on my smartphone, and followed norton's steps using Norton Power Eraser. It worked fine, and I got rid of the scam screen by about 6 pm. I accessed the internet to download Microsoft Security Essentials. After it downloaded and I ran a quick scan, I turned off my laptop. At about 9 pm, I turned my laptop back on, and I had internet access, but I couldn't access any websites. I still can't.
On firefox, nothing loads, nog even the start website; it simply shows a blank screen. On chrome (main browser), I type a web address and the screen says that page cannot be loaded. Nothing happens when I click on "reload." If I try to access a website using the chrome apps, it says the app is unreachable. And explorer simply says webpage cannot be displayed.
Please help me, I really need my computer since school just started, and I cannot survive without internet.
ALL YOUR HELP WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!

PS wifi works on my smartphone, just not on the laptop, and I called the company, so I think the problem comes from the computer.
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Sep 8, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Hello,

If you boot in safe mode, can you access Internet?
mtzzzzz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2013
Sep 8, 2013 at 02:00 PM
No, I can't
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Sep 8, 2013 at 04:03 PM
We will try this:

1. Download this Rogue Killer, preferably from another computer but don't run it yet:

https://www.adlice.com/roguekiller/

2. Transfer Rogue Killer on a pen drive or flash drive.

3. Connect the pen drive.

4. Restart you machine in safe mode and choose safe mode with command prompt.

5. Type the letter of the volume of your pendrive, ie E:/>

(could be another letter)

6. you should see the files on your pendrive.

7. Type roguekiller and press enter the programme should open

8. Click on scan, once the scan is finished, click on delete

9. Close Roguekiller and type shutdown /r and press enter and click ok

10. Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

11. Download the following Adwcleaner created by Xplode

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/6911-adwcleaner/

Launch it (for Windows 7 and 8, click right to run as administrator)
Click on delete

Good luck
mtzzzzz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday September 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2013
Sep 8, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Thanks
I will try it as soon as I have access to another computer