ERROR ON DOUBLE CLICKING TO OPEN ALL DRIVES

Closed
BILL - Feb 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 24, 2009 at 04:53 PM
Hello,
I'm not able to open my C,D,E,F any of the drive by double clicking it
I've to open it by right clicking and Explore......I just donno wats the problem

when i double click it I get this message:
_________________________________________________________________________________________
| RECYCLER\S-8-1-96-100016680-100013881-7123.com |
| |
| Windows cannot find 'RECYCLER\S-8-1-96-100016680-100013881-7123.com'. Make sure you typed the |
| name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. |
| |
| |
| ________ |
| | OK | |
| |________| |
|________________________________________________________________________________________|
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 24, 2009 at 04:53 PM
This sounds like you have a autorun.inf virus.

This problem is generally caused by some of the viruses which can infect Windows. They block or restrict your access to any of the drives.

Fix:

Normally when a virus infects a windows system which causes a drive opening problem, it automatically creates a file named autorun.inf in the root directory of each drive.

This autorun.inf file is a read only/hidden and a system file and the folder option is also disabled by the virus. This is deliberately done by the virus in order to protect itself. autorun.inf initiates all the activities that the virus performs when you try to open any drive.

You have to just delete this file and restart your system to correct the immediate problem.

Follow the set of commands below:

1. Open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps.

2. type cd\ and enter

3. type attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf and enter (no space after the - but a space after the letters)

4. type del autorun.inf and enter

5. now type d: and press enter for d: drive.

Now repeat steps 3 and 4.

Similarly repeat step 5 for all your hard disk drives/partitions (E and F).

Restart your system and your trouble will be fixed.

BUT, you still need to run a virus scan to identify and remove the virus.