WD Passport USB 3 unlocking issue - works in usb 2? Plz help:(

Closed
fruitmousse Posts 1 Registration date Friday September 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 13, 2013 - Sep 13, 2013 at 04:52 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 13, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Hi,
I am stuck!

I have a brand spanking new WD 1TB myPassport - and my wd drive unlock appears to be conflicting when connected to usb 3 giving me the error message: "you must run the WD Drive unlock application from the WD drive unlock CD associated with the drive you want to unlock".

The drive shows in disk management as unallocated and not intialised. I ran a test and connected my old passport to USB 3.0 and it offers me the password which I enter - but the point is before I enter my password the drive also shows in disk management as unallocated and not intialised - leading me to assume this is a problem with my wd drive unlock.

Here are the facts:

I have an old 300gb passport which works on usb 2 and usb 3 ports.

My new 1tb passport works on usb 2.

I can connect both to the usb 2 ports and both work fine.

Occasionally (after changing drive letters) I got the new one to unlock via usb 3 but then after one successfull unlock it goes back to the "you must run the WD Drive unlock application from the WD drive unlock CD associated with the drive you want to unlock" error message. So I am just not getting past the unlocking stage when connected to usb 3.

I think it may be super relevant that the new passport doesn't recognise its own WD Drive unlock.exe program - why would it suggest I use the drive unlock application from the CD associated with the drive - that's exactly what I am doing (obviously).

It's as though there is some sort of conflict.

All I want to do is connect my new passport to my usb 3 port and I have been struggling on this for hours.

Please help.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 13, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Since this is a new drive you should have free support from Western Digital. Have you used their web site?