Hard drive not detected

Closed
loveberri Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 6, 2013 - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
loveberri Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 6, 2013 - Oct 6, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Hello,

I have a Western Digital 2TB Elements drive that I've been using for a few years and was working fine up until yesterday. This drive is completely encrypted using True Crypt and after dismounting it two nights ago, the drive is no longer being detected by my laptop. I didn't check to see if the drive disappeared after dismount or when I reactivated my computer after putting it to sleep yesterday morning.

Here are the steps I've already performed to fix the problem:
1) Unplugged and replugged in the usb cable
2) External drives gets power from its own power brick, so unplugged and replugged it in both directly into wall outlet and into a power strip. The drive's indicator light is still on regardless.
3) Tried a different usb cable (also plugged in the original cable into another drive and that still worked, so probably not a cable problem)
4) Looked into both Device Manager and Disk Management in computer management, the drive does not show up anywhere.
5) Uninstalled all USB drivers in device manager and restarted the computer to let devices reinstall drivers. This actually worked once, I was able to mount the drive again and access the drive, but it was acting very slowly so I dismounted the drive and restarted the computer again. Only this time the drive once again does not appear. I tried uninstalling all the USB drivers again and the drive continues to not show. I've tried this again multiple times with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 6, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Now for step 6, try this:

After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again. I think this should solve the problem.

If the above fails:

This type issue could be caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and hard disk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

Download UsbFix (created by El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

http://ccm.net/download/download-24089-usbfix

If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
Plug in your usb devices (Flash drive, pen drive. External HD etc...) don't open them.
Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

Click on deletion
Let the tool work.

Ambucias
Moderator/virus security contributor
loveberri Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 6, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 6, 2013
Oct 6, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Your step 6 was what I did for my step 5. It worked once, but then after dismounting and restarting my computer the drive disappeared again and repeating the step didn't work again.

I tried running the usbfix, but it keeps freezing. Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for the suggestions though.