Monitor going black after 2 seconds - 2

Closed
DavePL Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2013 - Oct 29, 2013 at 06:07 PM
DavePL Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2013 - Nov 4, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Hello,

I had this identical problem, but my solution was different, so I wanted to post on this topic again.
Our new Windows 7 computer was working fine for a while, then one day the monitor went black. After turning the monitor off and back on, it would stay on for 2", and go black again.
The problem was not the monitor, (trying a brand new one made no difference).
Turned out it was something to do with either the electrical outlet on the wall, or the power strip. Connecting everything to a different outlet, with an extension cord, fixed the problem.
We still don't know why another computer worked, and the new one didn't. Maybe the power strip was marginal, or voltage requirements different?
Related:

1 response

DavePL Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen November 4, 2013
Nov 4, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Follow up - new information
I need to apologize about the above post, since finding out the new extension cord and outlet strip did not fix the problem. It turned out, it was a bad monitor. And the replacement monitor we got, was also bad. We never expected to get 2 bad monitors in a row, but when we finally tried a third one, that worked! So this problem with bad monitors is much more common than we thought.