Hardware failure or virus??

Closed
ladybass - Feb 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM
roeecho Posts 15 Registration date Thursday May 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2009 - Mar 2, 2009 at 02:50 AM
Hello,

My (vista) computer runs great except for this one little problem.

Every now and then, it will randomly shut down and display a blue screen with blurry words on it. It seems like some sort of error message, but it takes up the full screen and only stays up for a few seconds (not enough time to even get through the first short paragraph).

Then, the computer will restart, prompting me to run startup repair. Startup repair runs for about fifteen minutes, alerts me that it cannot fix the problem, then shuts down my computer.

Then (and sometimes this next part will just happen if I'm turning my computer on for the first time, without the blue error screen), the computer will begin to turn on, and windows will begin to load. Just before the little progress bar shows up, the screen will go black and a yellow line will run on the right side from top to bottom. The computer will not load past this point, and the only thing to do is restart the computer again and again until it decides to load all the way, which it eventually does.

HELP ME :( :( I can't figure out if it is a virus or a hardware failure. Virus scan will not find anything, and I can't find any information about this online. Thanks so much--

1 response

roeecho Posts 15 Registration date Thursday May 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2009 4
Mar 2, 2009 at 02:50 AM
hi,
it seems that your hard drive is problematic.
try another hard disk to see if the problem continues, if it does, this may lead to the conclusion that your RAM is faulty.
if you have several RAMs, remove them one by one and start your computer after removing each of them. if your computer boots normally after the removal of a particular RAM, this means that this RAM is the faulty one.
give a try.
if still the problem remains the same, then it may be due to a hardware incompatibility. You will need to update your drivers.