How to make Windows 7 get working (black screen with a cursor)?

Closed
g1o2r3a4z5d6 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2014 - Jan 24, 2014 at 08:57 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 29, 2014 at 08:14 PM
So, the story started with permissions I changed in the registry and by adding 'Everyone' to the key, it simply deleted every user instead and also the owner. The computer hasn't booted until then (black screen with a cursor). I used WINDOWS 7 Recovery CD to repair it.

I've been successful in applying permissions back, thanks to this post: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-|-windows-vista-tutorials/3902-fix-permissions-changes-preventing-windows-from-booting-windows-7-windows-vista.html

But now my system still won't boot. I get black screen with movable mouse cursor. Safe mode, last known good configuration and system restore all don't work. I tried almost every combination in diskpart, however, still no luck. Here's the info for the one who is more experienced than I am and would be kind enough to help me.

Diskpart shows 1 disk, when I select it, it is divided into three partitions.

The first one is: Volume 1, Letter C, Label=system, fs=ntfs, primary partition, 500 MB and healthy
The second one is: Volume 3, Letter E, Label=recovery, fs=ntfs, recovery partition, 6000 MB, healthy and hidden
The third one is: Volume 2, Letter D, Label=OS, fs=ntfs, primary partition, 925 GB, healthy

According to this tutorial How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows I had been able to get 'Total identified Windows installations =(1)' if I chose D. So I assume Windows is installed on D:. I may be wrong. When the computer worked, I did not see any D: disk in My Computer (only C: with OS).

The problem is, I cannot choose which of the following partitions I should make active so the black screen wouldn't appear.

When I enter in cmd:

vol C: -> Volume in drive C is system
vol D: -> Volume in drive D is OS
vol E: -> Could not find the following drive. Error while processing. Volume in drive E is recovery.
vol X: -> Could not find the following drive. Error while processing. Volume in drive X is boot.
vol F: -> Could not find the following drive. Error while processing. Volume in drive F is GRMCHPXFREO_EN_DVD

When I enter in cmd:

dir C: -> Volume in drive C: is system
dir D: -> Volume in drive D: is OS. (Followed by all my personal data and folders)
dir E: -> Volume in drive E: is Recovery. Only Recovery folder (from 2011)
dir F: -> Volume in drive F: is GRMCHPXFREO_EN_DVD. (I assume this is the Recovery CD)
dir X: -> Volume in drive X: is boot. (Followed by many .dll files and .xsl files)

I am a bit confused as some letters are quite different from the ones that were listed when my computer was working (There was only C: drive in My Computer, CD was drive E:, not F: as above...) That's a bit confusing for sure.

I want someone to tell me: Which PARTITION I should make active and where I should configure boot. I gave it up as it's apparently too complicated for me but I need the files stored on the computer as well as the programs. So please, don't tell me to do a repair or custom install.

Also someone should tell me:

On which drive (or volume) I should run this command: net user Administrator /active:yes ?

Which partition to make active?

On which drive (or volume) I need to run: bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /scanos, bootrec /fixboot, bootsect /nt60 all (is this link any useful: How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems ?)

I also tried this: Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
and this

Does this refer to my problem?

That is one useful link: Can' Log Into Windows 7 - Microsoft Community

Another one: BCDEDIT - How to Use

And the last one: https://neosmart.net/forums/threads/windows-7-boot-bcd-file-is-corrupt-cant-seem-to-fix-it.9214/

I tried to compare my settings with my mothers' laptop which is working (both Windows 7 SP1 64 bit) but the settings are still so different that it isn't of any help.

Please, are here any heroes?

Thank you so much in advance.

If there's any more info I should have mentioned or anything, please request and I'll provide it.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 29, 2014 at 08:14 PM
I suggest you boot from the Windows DVD and do a repair. It's probably your best option at this point.

Good Luck