Infected external HDD with autorun virus

Closed
Losert-2014 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2014 - Feb 25, 2014 at 02:08 PM
silhouttejames Posts 27 Registration date Friday February 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 19, 2014 - Feb 27, 2014 at 02:45 AM
Dear friends :

This is my first question after joining this online community. Pls. help me in this difficult situation:

I have been trying to recover the data in my 150 GB HDD ( external ) Samsung, since last two days! I have partioned the 150 GB into two logical partitions of 30 and 70 GB and the remaining portion is left raw without formating for future use.

The virus which got infected has initially deleted one of the partritions and the remaining partion was not showing any data. Though the files could not be seen , I can see through properties that the memory space is filled with data as free space is less than the capacity of the oartitions. I finally got into a site through google search which provided a free trial version of the standard data recovery software called "any data recovery " I am now struggling with that recovery process because of the interruption from the virus which is still residing in the external HDD and possibly got into the Computer in the net cafe from which I am trying to recover my data. The virus is not even allowing me to google and gather ANY TIPS FROM THE SITE INCLUDING kIOSKEA SITE ! aS SOON AS I clik the various search results google out the virus shuts it down! I tried many time on various sites ...I could not open any or even look into the tips and read it, before which the virus closes the entire page. I tried many time until a few minutes ago and the decided to join this online community to seek help.. Pls give me a helping hand to get rid of this intelligent virus and recover my data..:

Thanks !
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 25, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Hello Losert,

Hang on, I will soon have an expert on your case.

Ambucias
Moderator, Virus Security Contributor
2011N2 Posts 13352 Registration date Saturday January 29, 2011 Status Security contributor Last seen December 24, 2016 39
Feb 25, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Hello,

This type issue could be caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and hard disk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

Download UsbFix (created by El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

http://ccm.net/download/download-24089-usbfix

If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
Plug in your usb devices (Flash drive, pen drive. External HD etc...) don't open them.
Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

Click on deletion
Let the tool work.

At the end of the scan a report will show which you can copy and paste here..

The report is save at the root ( C:\UsbFix.txt ).

You can also vaccinate against any virus.

Gabriel.
silhouttejames Posts 27 Registration date Friday February 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 19, 2014 52
Feb 27, 2014 at 02:45 AM
Worms spreads by creating a copy of itself and starts by autorun.inf files. It is essential to remove the malicious and autorun.inf files not only from computers but also from the source, and that is the USB Drive. PreciseSecurity have created a procedure to delete the malicious files on infected drives.

PROCEDURE:
1. While the computer is still off;
2. Plugin the USB Drive
3. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. It must be the bootable Windows XP Installer
4. Start the computer from the CD-ROM drive. It will start Windows Setup screen
5. When the "Welcome to Setup" prompt appears.Press "R" to start the Recovery Console
6. If asked "Which Window installation would you like to logon to" select the number. Type "1? then Enter, if only one installation of Windows is present
7. Enter the administrator password, press Enter
8. It will bring you to command prompt, C:\Windows>
9. Proceed with the following command:
- Type d: (This is the drive letter of USB. It can be e: or f: defending on how many hard disk or cd drive is installed)
- Type attrib -h -r -s autorun.inf
- Type "edit autorun.inf" it will open DOS Editor and display contents as follows
==========================
[autorun]
open=file.exe
shell\Open\Command=file.exe
shell\open\Default=1
shell\Explore\Command=file.exe
shell\Autoplay\command=file.exe
==========================

10. Exit DOS Editor and return to command prompt, D:\>
11. Delete the file that was called to open on DOS Editor
- Type del /f /a file.exe
12. Delete autorun.inf file
- Type del /f /a autorun.inf
13. Exit Recovery Console by typing exit.