BIOS not detecting SATA HDD

Closed
lombeee Posts 5 Registration date Thursday March 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2014 - Mar 27, 2014 at 03:46 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM
hello,

just as what the title says, my computer is not detecting its hard drive. During start-up, it only displays "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.". Also, when i power on the computer, i could not feel hard drive spinning.

- I tried testing my hard drive to other computer along with its data cable, and its working just fine.
- I tried reseating all cables, still not working.
- I tried reseating cmos battery, still not working.
- I tried arranging boot priority device, still not working.

is there any way that i have not tried?
I am afraid that if my motherboard or power supply is bad as it will cost me a fortune. :(

My pc spec is:

- winxp 32bit
- pentium(R) dual-core E5400
- 2gb ddr2 ram
- i only have 1 hard drive, Seagate Sata (don't know specific details)
- ASUS P5G41-M LE
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Mar 27, 2014 at 07:52 PM
The hard disk should spin up to speed if it has power. I would try another power connector if there is a spare one in the case.

A new standard power supply is not costly. The motherboard is no longer produced and would be difficult to find except as a used part.

Good Luck
lombeee Posts 5 Registration date Thursday March 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2014
Mar 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply.

I did what you said on trying other power connector and turns out that it is still not working. I also did it on my cd/dvd rom, but it also did not give it power. I tried the cd/dvd rom on another pc and it worked, lol.

If power supply is bad, then why is it that the computer turns on? and also, can I plug my hard drive's power connector to Computer-A but data cable is at Computer-B? that would save me time and money. cheers! :D

Hoping to get some reply as soon as possible.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Mar 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM
If the power cable can stretch between computers. That will work. Just don't pull too hard and break something.

The power supply puts out 12 volt and 5 volt on different wires (also both plus an minus voltages). The motherboard probably uses only the 12 volt lines. So the PS might only have a problem with the 5 volt lines.
lombeee Posts 5 Registration date Thursday March 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2014
Mar 28, 2014 at 03:27 AM
Hey there,

So I did what i had in mind about connecting between computers. Now that hard drive is detected, there comes this new problem. Everytime it boots up, it asks me to choose:

- Starts with safe mode
- Start with last known configuration
- Start windows normally

those kind of stuff, but it restarts automatically after i chose one. Do you have any idea what is happening? Oh, by the way, there's this anti surge stuff in the way, i know what it is but i think it would do just fine with it, yea? I hope it helps.

Thank you for very much for aiding.
Mar 28, 2014 at 03:36 AM
I also tried replacing the PS, but it did not work.....So i work my way on both computers. =/
Mar 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM
So it looks like Windows needs to be reinstalled. You don't say what version of Windows you are using. With Vista and Win 7 you can start from the disk and do a "Repair". That has small chance of repairing Windows without reinstalling.