CAN ONLY BOOT UP OCCASSIONALLY

Closed
Sam - Mar 10, 2009 at 03:29 AM
 sam - Mar 12, 2009 at 01:33 AM
Hello,

I have a 5+ year old Acer. In the last couple of weeks, it started to become unstable. When power up, sometimes only the CPU fan will spin for a few seconds and stop. Sometimes, it works for a few days. The last time it failed, I took out the CMOS battery and replaced it, thinking that maybe it was not seated properly. The fan spins continuously but nothing else happens, ie. I think the hard disk is not spinning. I'm exasperated. What's the cause?
Related:

1 response

Meesmees1 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday February 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2009
Mar 11, 2009 at 04:19 AM
hi,
check if the power cables are correctly plugged in the motherboard.
remove them and then plug again.
be sure to connect the ATX cable, without which your computer won't boot.
check the BIOS settings as welll.
you may try another power supply to see if it helps.
Thanks.
Initially I thought it might be the power cable, so I refix and even swap cable but the result was the same. So it wasn't the cable. Then I pressed in all cables connected on the motherboard and various hardwares and cards. Result was the same. So I gave up.
But 2 days later when I power up, it could work fine for next 2 days. And then it went down again suddenly when I was using it. So I'm back to the frustrating unable to boot up point. I am still trying to figure out what is wrong. Any more ideas?