Failure to update

Closed
oddy75 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday June 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2014 - Aug 5, 2014 at 07:20 PM
oddy75 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday June 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2014 - Aug 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Hi, hope someone can advise me on this problem that is baffling me. I have a toshiba laptop with windows 7 home premium sp1 on. The hard drive crashed so i replaced it and re-installed the above and then applied my system restore discs. For some strange reason it will not run w7 updates. The box is red with a big red 'x'. If i click....check for updates another box opens stating 'cannot update as service not running'. Ive tried all sorts Inc. Turning firewalls off, defenders off and removing other security programs. I've been into services.msc and checked updates are on. That read automatic-delayed. It alsort won't run any trouble shooting apps as this says error-restricted. All was fine on the old hard drive with the same software. HELP PLEASE ?

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 5, 2014 at 08:07 PM
Microsoft suggest you do the following:

Perform the following methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to check if you are able to access Windows Update service and also make sure that the following services are started. If it is not started follow these steps:

a. Click on Start, type services.msc and hit Enter.
b. Locate Windows Update.
c. Right click on the service and select Properties.
d. In Start-up type, select Enable.
e. Click Start under Service status.
f. Click OK.
g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Cryptographic Services

If the steps do not help resolve the issue, then you may proceed with the methods mentioned below and check.

Method 2:

How do I reset Windows Update components?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

Method 3:

Your antivirus software may be conflicting with Windows Updates. You can test this by temporarily disabling your antivirus:

Disable Anti-virus software
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 4:

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970908/how-to-use-microsoft-easy-fix-solutions
oddy75 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday June 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2014
Aug 5, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I have already tried some of those methods but will certainly try the others. Very much appreciated ?. Ill keep you posted. X
oddy75 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday June 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2014
Aug 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Hi. I have been through all the methods above with no resolve. The last fix it with microsoft says.......troubleshooting cannot proceed. Grrrrrrrhhhhhhh