My Gateway notebook is stuck saying Windows is preparing to

Closed
EMW522 - Aug 15, 2014 at 01:23 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Aug 22, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Hello,

I don't know what happened but the last 2 days, I can't get my notebook to get beyond the point where you sign in if you have a password with the little icon. I have took out the battery, shut down the notebook, unplugged cords etc. It will turn on with the black screen asking if you want safe mode or normal and no matter which one I select, it goes to the Windows screen and spins like it is going to open up to that icon where you can type in the password but it never gets that far. I tried operating in safe mode and again it just shows the window logo and nothing. I hit all the F8 F11 whatever it takes to bypass and get into my computer and still it is stuck on the windows opening page.

It was fine 2 days ago and I wish I could restore it to an earlier time but Ican't even get in. It is a notebook that I use at night and about 7 years old, a Gateway Acer. I think it operates on Windows XP. Does this sound like a virus or a hardware problem? I know I have the discs somewhere but before I go searching for them, I am looking for an easier way to acccess my computer. Anyone that can help, please let me know. I just don't get how it went from working fine to this. I am not tech savvy so you may need to explain computer terms in layman's terms. Thank you

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 22, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Well a 7 year old laptop is not worth fixing. It looks like you need the expensive services of a PC tech. I suggest you look into buying a mid-range Android tablet as a replacement. You will find email easier to use on a tablet than your old Windows XP computer.

Good Luck