Black screen and freezes

Closed
Sabby - Mar 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 - Nov 29, 2009 at 03:40 AM
Hello,
I have a Gateway notebook that is maybe 4 years old and I've never had any problems with it. The other day I tried to turn it on and it was just a black screen. I could hear things running and the power light was on (battery has been dead forever, using a/c) but windows never started, blank screen.
After several restarts, I got it to work but if I move even slightly with it in my lap, it either goes to black screen or it freezes with everything on screen and I am unable to move the cursor. Yesterday, it worked fine for several hours and I put it down and picked it up several times. Then when I set it down for the last time, it went black on me and it took many restarts to get a screen up this morning.
Any idea what might be going on? I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks,
Sabby
Related:

1 response

brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Mar 12, 2009 at 01:31 PM
Hi There sorry to hear you are having problems. This seems to me like a hardware problem, it could be your graphics chip or you power addapter. As its a laptop and four years old it would probably be to expensive to repair.
What I would do is get the laptop going and backup enverything that is important to you once this is done if the laptop lets you I would do a memory test with the free memory test software listed here.
https://www.lifewire.com/memtest86-review-2626145
I would then do a hard disk check by going to My Computer right clicking on your hard drive and left click properties once opened click on the tools tab click on check now check the boxes that say "Automatically fix file system errors" and check the box that says "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" then click start (as this is the only hard drive you have in your laptop it will tell you it can't do it now and it will ask you if you want it to do it at the next start up) click yes and then restart your laptop.

All the above is assuming your laptop wil play ball and let you do this without freezing or going to a black screen.
If all else fails I would try and do a complete re-install and then get my prayer mat out and start praying.

Let me know how you get on.

Best of Luck Kindest Regards Tony B.
Hi, Tony B.,
Thanks for your response, sorry I took so long to reply. I tried both suggestions and was still crashing until yesterday when I gave up and reloaded everything. So far, so good! I hope it lasts.
It was a funny thing, I would either just hang and no movement possible or I would go to black screen and I could still hear things running in there. It crashed so many times, I hope nothing go damaged. I even tried a tip on freezing the battery to make it start working again -- didn't work at all but I thought if I could get it back from the dead for a few minutes I might be able to tell if it was a power source problem. It was weird how it would work for hours at times and not for 2 seconds other times.
Like I said, I did finally just reload Windows, etc. back in here and it seems to be working. Thanks so much for your advice!

Sabby
When i loged on my computer it shows a black screen and i just cant fix it and i even press the start button and it wont show the start thing help me please Thank you and please help me please i beg you!!!!=(
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40 > Kang
Nov 29, 2009 at 03:40 AM
Hi There seems you have a similar problem to the one above I am not going to retype the message I gave to the last person so read the message of mine above.
Just recently a guy had the same problem as you, and it was a fault on his motherboard one of the chips was playing up, but as his was still in warranty this wasn't a problem.
I think in the end you will have to get this looked at by someone who knows what he or she is doing.
Sorry I can't be any more help.
Best of Luck
Tony B.