New computer doesn't recognise hard drives from old computer

Closed
RobDoran1 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday October 5, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 5, 2014 - Oct 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
My PC laptop recently died and Windows was unable to fix the problem. It would no longer boot up and just said there was a disk read error when you switched it on.

This laptop contains vast swathes of music and photos that I haven't back up, because I am an idiot.

I have bought a caddy so that I can connet the old hard drives to my new computer and removed the data.

However, when plugged in to my new laptop, the following happens:

Hard drive 1 (which contained all the Windows files) - the computer says that it cannot access the disk (wrong parameters) and says I will have to format the drive to use with the computer.

Hard drive 2 - this is simply not recognised at all and nothing appears in Windows Explorer.

I am desperate not to lose this data as there are loads of baby photos etc.

Any help very gratefully appreciated.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Hi, RobDoran

Can you confirm that your drive is spinning and is functional from a mechanical point of view? Are there any noises coming from the drive? How are you trying to connect the HDD to the laptop? With a SATA to USB cable?
Nothing appears in Windows Explorer, but what about Device Manager, Disk Management and BIOS. Are there any signs of the drive?

I need those clarifications to be able to help you properly.