Broke my WiFi button on my PC

Solved/Closed
TheWilliamGreat Posts 1 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 11, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Hello, I have a different situation, i was broke my WiFi button on my PC, so can i turn on wireless inside of system? Need help, please.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2014 at 03:51 PM
I depends on the make and model of the computer.

This works for a Dell:

If you go into the Bios as the laptop boots (hit F2 at the startup Dell screen), and scroll down to the Wireless menu, you can modify two important settings. Make sure the wi-fi and bluetooth (if you want) are both Enabled. Then a few entries down there is a "Wireless Switch" category. Change this setting to "None." Then, go to the "Wi-Fi Catcher" category, and change that to "Off."

This will cause the laptop to completely ignore the hardware switch on the side, and force the card to stay on at all times. Voila! Now it doesn't matter if your switch is broken.

Meanwhile, if you never NEED to turn off your wireless card, you can just right click on it and disable it from within your network adapter settings. So, no harm no foul.